Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen- The Cousins and The Bedchambers

Everyone, all the wedding guests, were already inside the celebration hall. The music was loud and the beat could be heard outside the closed double doors that led into the hall. Only Arwen and Gavin stood outside the doors, waiting to be announced.

"You did beautifully," Gavin whispered close to Arwen's ear, "my queen."

"Thank you, my king." Arwen whispered back, a smirk on her pink lips. She still could not believe she was Queen of Brigantia. She felt as if she were going to wake up any moment and go out to her manor's farm to gather up all the chickens.

"Now comes the easy part: getting everyone to love you."

"Easy?" Arwen remembered what her mother said about Finnian and any other enemies she would gain at court.

"Yes, for how could anyone resist loving you?" Gavin whispered back, nuzzling her neck. Arwen closed her eyes, feeling his warm breath on her skin, and thinking that Gavin was wrong; Finnian already resisted loving her, what was there to stop anyone else?

"You should save your energy for later, Gavin. We still have a party to attend." Arwen gently pushed him back, smiling at his impatience.

"I cannot help it; I want to hold you in my arms and never let go." The king responded as Arwen heard trumpets blare on the other side of the doors.

"I want nothing more than that as well, but there is plenty of time for that later." Arwen giggled, stepping out of his embrace and instead grabbing hold of his arm.

"I will hold you to that, love." Gavin said mischievously as both of them straightened up, ready to greet their court.

On the other side of the doors, they heard the announcement, "Presenting His Majesty the King Gavin, and his Queen Arwen of Brigantia, the White Spring Realms of Emery!" The doors opened, and the new couple walked into the silent room.

Hundreds of guests, all dressed in their finest, were either sitting at the many long tables on the sides of the room, or standing in the center of it on the dance floor. Musicians sat still in their corner, and servants were quiet in theirs. Everyone was as silent as the dead as the king and queen walked through dance floor, and up onto the platform with their empty table on it waiting for them.

They turned to see their subjects, standing in front of their table, and finally the room erupted in sound again as people cheered and the musicians started up their song again.

People standing began dancing again, changing partners and doing a lively jig. The servants walked over to the people sitting down at the tables and began serving hot roasts, seasoned greens, warm breads, aged cheeses, and chilled wines. Three servants brought over the same foods to the king and the queen, setting the wonderfully smelling meal on their table.

Gavin and Arwen filled each other's plates, feeding each other tidbits of sizzling venison or holding each other's chalices as they drank. They ate and whispered words of love and desire to each other, lost in their own quiet world, while the loud partying went on around them. Arwen wished they could stay like that forever, immersed only in themselves; but after an hour, Gavin slowly pulled away.

"And now we greet the people." He said, straightening up in his seat. Arwen followed his example, but she refused to let go of his hand from under the table.

One by one, loyal subjects stepped forward, greeting the king, welcoming the queen, and wishing them both good health and happiness. One by one, Arwen learned each of their names, and really focused to see who she thought she could trust. After talking to each person, she would turn to find Bianca somewhere in the room, and they would either shake their heads at each other if they thought that person was untrustworthy, or they would nod if they thought the person would be loyal to Arwen. So far, there were many people Arwen and her mother felt they could trust.