Another Episode

Alma stopped her brush short...her hands were trembling again. It was a constant struggle, moments like these were she would lose control of all the muscles in her body. The brunette felt her brush fall to the floor, and then held her hand in front of her face it was shaking. It wouldn't be much longer before she was on the floor, struggling to breathe. Alma felt the muscles in her arms clench, and the familiar pain shot through her chest. The colors on the canvas blurred together, and she fought the wave of nausea that took over. She took a deep breath, trying to use what little control she had to stay upright on the mahogany stool, but she failed her body becoming stiff as she fell to the floor with a thud. Alma could only whisper, "Nick..." She hated this helpless feeling.  

It hadn't been long since she had stopped with her drug abuse, and she knew this was only the begining. Her vision still blurry she couldn't make out the figure that ran into the room. "Alma." She heard, but that was also fuzzy. Alma hated that she worried him, and that she was a constant burden, but she did feel safe when he was there. He was there with her, and he knew what to do. Nick had spared her from rehab, and instead taken her in, and decided to help her through this process of getting clean. Alma did as much as she could to repay him, helping around the house, cooking when she could, and paying what she could for the rent. It wasn't enough Alma knew that but Nick wouldn't let her utter those words. 

She knew what happened then, not because she could focus on what went on, but because this was a procedure that had happened many times, and Nick had told her he hated having to gag her like an animal...but he needed to so that she wouldn't bite her own tongue off in the process. He had to hold her down, and he often tried holding her close while her body thrashed involuntarily, he would whisper poems to her, and she could only make out some of the words he had said but as his voice became clearer she used it as a beacon and it helped her calm down. Eventually her thrashing would slow, and her body would relax against his own, it was always like this...they could never predict how long the episodes lasted and Alma never really remembered, but she did know that Nick was there until the end.