Epiphany

Jackson was taken to the same laboratory that he and Macy had found. He was placed in a wheel chair and taken to a large room that contained a mixture of computer and scientific equipment. One of the accompanying brutes roughly stripped him of his armor and clothing. It was replaced by a hospital gown and he was placed on top of a metal table.

"Detective Wolfe, we have been awaiting your visit for some time now," the man who seemed to be in charge began. "You have eluded treatment in the past due to the ignorance of our team, but not this time. We now understand that your operation must be performed while you remain conscious, as uncomfortable for you as that will be. We do tend to learn from our mistakes and placing you under general anesthesia was most certainly a mistake. That being said, I would like to add that our interests and the advancement of science does take priority over yours, or anyone else’s, comfort. I understand that some would believe that we are cruel. That what we do is inhumane. However, we strongly believe that there simply cannot be growth and accomplishment without sacrifice. So, please do enjoy the bright side. You and others before you are sacrificing yourselves to better the future for humankind."

Jackson couldn't respond, but he let out a long trail of insults inside his mind, all aimed at the snotty little man. One of the other scientists was securing a cage-like contraption over his head as the other shoved a needle that hurt like nothing he'd felt before up into his lower back. He realized that he could no longer feel any part of his body except his face. It was as though the rest of him had been erased.

"We are going to perform brain surgery, Detective. Your implant will be modified and adjusted along with your current memories. Unfortunately you will lose them. You will retain your remarkable abilities and any skills you have. However, you will be compliant, ready to do what you were initially intended to do. You will still be in there, but you will not be the one in control. The implanted persona will be taking the lead. He will be reprogrammed, of course. He inherited personality traits from you that stopped him from doing what he was supposed to do. Those will be eliminated. He will be far more obedient when we have finished."

The cage contraption was secured in place and Jackson could hear the other two preparing tools and rolling equipment over. He assumed that they were hooking up some sort of computer and laser equipment. Finally the head doc stepped in front of him and bent over to look him in the eye.

"This may be painful. You may suffer hallucinations and experience some strange sensations," he explained without a hint of empathy. "It will be over before you know it. When you wake up, things will be quite different for you. I’m afraid you will no longer possess that ridiculous and misplaced sense of honor and loyalty. I would expect that it will be quite liberating for you."

The smug little man sniffed and then straightened. He clapped his hands together twice and said, “Alright! Shall we get started?”

....................

"We are back!" Lillian let out a whoop of joy as she set about getting her little back-door program to connect the team once again. "We did it, kid!" she typed into the small window she was using to communicate to her new friend.

YES. IT LOOKS LIKE ITS ALL FIXED.

"Okay, I need you to help me to stabilize the connections. I need to find out what's going on."

...............

Jackson could hear the tiny circular saw as it was brought to his head. He didn't feel it, but hearing it was torture enough. His head had been screwed in place inside the cage contraption. His eyes were open, but all he could do was stare at the floor.

Anger welled up and spilled throughout his entire being, burning a path where he could feel nothing else. His body was completely numb to him, but he could feel the hatred. Hatred toward these men who believed themselves to be superior to everyone else and toward whoever was paying them to do what they were doing. Hatred toward the evil that battled constantly to overcome humanity and cast mankind into eternal hell and damnation. He cursed whatever god or goddess had brought humans into existence only to abandon them to their imperfect fate.