Disappearances

Macy looked over her shoulder as she silently slipped out the front door. The others were all planning and scheming and didn't even notice her quietly get up and make her way out. Once outside, she drew a deep breath to steady her racing pulse and frazzled nerves. She eyed the sleek, futuristic car and steeled herself as she approached him. The door swung open.

"Miss Grey? May I be of service to you?" his robotic voice asked politely.

She slid in and took a deep breath.

"Actually, yes. I need to go somewhere and I want you to keep quiet about it."

"Where is it you would like to go?"

She placed both hands on the steering wheel. She never did anything behind Jackson's back, but she was scared and she knew he would disagree with her on this. He had already expressed his opinion on the matter.

"Orion, I need you to take me to Chief Crowly. I need to speak to him and Jackson doesn't know."

"Miss Grey, I hardly think..."

"Either you take me or I call a cab!" her little voice squeaked at him, nervous yet determined.

The A.I. seemed to pause and give his choices a little thought. To her relief, the engine roared to life and they set off down the dirt road.

.............

Jackson had just noticed Macy's absence when he heard his car start out front. He sprang to his feet and made his way swiftly to the door. He flung it open in time to see the black car speed off with his partner's unmistakable blonde head in the driver's seat. He was confused.

"Orion?" he spoke, aiming the inquiry at the A.I's presence in his head via the crystal link.

There was no answer at first and he almost sprang off the porch to run after the car, as pointless as that would be.

"Detective, everything is under control. Your partner has an errand to run and has enlisted my help," Orion's reassuring voice finally came through.

"Where is she going?"

"She... has asked that I not tell you. She does not believe you will agree with her decision."

Jackson gaped in the direction the vehicle had disappeared in. Macy never took matters into her own hands and went against him. On anything. What was she thinking?

"Bud, you tell her that whatever she is doing, to get her little ass back here and we can talk about it."

"I'm afraid her mind is quite set, sir. I thought... well, I assume you would prefer her to be under my care rather than calling a cab and setting off on her own? That was to be her second choice."

Jackson's shoulders slumped as he turned to head back into the house. "Just make sure she doesn't, you know... fall under any spells and betray us."

"I do not believe that is what has happened, Detective. I will look out for her."

"Thanks, bud." Whatever his tow-headed partner had taken upon herself to do was out of his control. He was surprised, but he trusted her. Later they could talk about her lack of trust in him. He didn't understand why she didn't just talk to him first.

"Well, I am without a car. Macy's off on a solo mission the nature of which I am not privy to at the moment."

Anthony looked up at him, questioning. Jackson just shrugged. 

"She's with Orion. She'll be alright," he said, hoping to sound more confident than he felt.

"Okay, so what have we decided here? Shall we put it to a vote?" Anthony asked, looking around. "It seems we are divided."