All Eyes||Chapter Twelve

I drove down the street, the soft hum of the radio was the only thing I could focus on to stop myself from falling asleep while driving.

Nate hasn't come to work for three days.

Gran wasn't talking to me for almost a week.

And I don't know why am I even counting.

I parked my red truck in front of a grocery store and I let out a tired sigh. Sleep these days hasn't been the easiest thing for me, because she was
everywhere in my dreams.

Rather nightmares.

I shook my head, pressing my fingers against my puffy eyes and trying to focus my vision on the rain droplets hitting the windscreen.

But I couldn't.

Her eyes were glistening with tears,

Flooding down her face faster than any storm I've ever seen.

Oliver's grunting caught my attention and I spared him a second glance, watching as he snuggled deeper under his wool blanket before I exited the car, slamming the squeaking door behind me.

And as fast as my exhausted body could carry me, I made a run for the sliding doors and even though I was sure not to splash in any rain puddles. My boots and jeans were soaked.

It was raining pretty hard.

And my heart ached more than my throbbing temples when my eyes landed on the candy section and I caught a big pack of skittles on the highest shelf like they usually place them.

"What are you doing, shorty?" I snickered as I watched her jumping on her tiptoes, trying desperately to reach the big pack of skittles placed at the top shelf.

She turned around and rolled her light brown eyes at me, a small smile placed, as usual, on her cherry lips.

Her eyes twinkling up at me like the moon on a twilight.

Her lips smiling like I was the only good thing that ever happened to her.

Which I wasn't.

Because I failed her.

And he broke her.

"Oh shut up you huge asshole," she scowled playfully, resting her small hands on her hips and I rolled my eyes back at her, smirking down at her the way she detested.

"Well that huge asshole is the only one that can get you what you want?" she raised her eyebrows at me in that way that said 'I have a plan B'.

"I can ask for help from any employee," I groaned at her smartness and she giggled, her small hands pushing my back gently towards the shelf where the skittles were.

"But I can always use your help, huge nice asshole," we both chuckled in unison as I stretched my arms out and handed her the pack of skittles. And my reward was a quick peck on my cheek before she flew away with the cart to the cashier.

And I laughed at her, watching her white skirt flapping behind her like sea waves.

And it was the last time she ever had skittles.

I felt the blood flowing inside my mouth but I kept on sucking on my lower lip anyway, and I found my legs carrying me to the candy section and I snatched the skittles off of the top shelf.

But I never even liked skittles.

I bought the rest of the necessities we needed back home plus a pack of cigarettes before paying and as fast as I entered, I exited the store.