twelve

Indecision

"You can't be serious?" Gerard's voice came in through the speaker of my phone. "I thought the gallery closed at six."

"It does..." I felt horrible for what I was doing. "But there is a new show to plan and I have to get started as soon as possible."

"You said you'd come." His voice sounded annoyed and I couldn't blame him.

In a moment of confidence I had told him earlier in the week that I would be at their show. But now that it was the day of, I could already feel my nerves getting the best of me.

"I know what I said," I spoke softly. "I will try to make it in time."

He sighed loudly and agreed before we both ended the call. He knew there wasn't much he could do to convince me to come. I just had to try to force myself into it. I just had to try and force Frank's emotions from my body.

Night had fallen only an hour before and as I parked my car on a side street I could already hear the sound coming up from the main street. I carried myself quickly up the alleyway, ducking my head as a few shadows loomed against one of the buildings.

My eyebrows rose in interests as I stepped out onto the sidewalk, a wave of excitement washing over me. There was still a lineup of kids and young adults outside the venue and I realized then that Gerard's band was slightly more well known than he had let on.

I could feel the anticipation inside me grow as I made my way toward the front of the line, the bouncer at the door asking me for my name. I could hear people groaning from behind me as the large man let me pass through without any difficulty.

I was hit with the feeling of giddiness and the warmth of having too many bodies squished into one room. The lights were dim, but I still had visibility as I made my way toward the bar on the far side of the venue.

Screams filled the air and I turned immediately toward the stage as the room fell into darkness. An odd feeling bubbled up inside me as adrenaline started to pump my heart, making it race. The light sounds of guitars could be heard, but still the stage stayed dark.

The noise grew louder along with people's yells and it was then that a single light turned on, backlighting the band so they were only silhouettes to the audience.

My lips parted in awe as a smooth voice sung into the microphone.

"And if they get me and the sun goes down into the ground..."