TWENTY-ONE | IMPERIUM IN IMPERIO

❝I walk alone,
I'm everything,
my ears can hear
and my mouth can speak,
my spirit talks,
I know my soul believes.❞ 

─────── 

TWENTY | IMPERIUM IN IMPERIO

I fell asleep.

I don't remember when or how, but the next thing I remember is my face buried into a pillow and my eyes slowly opening, trying to adjust to the light in the room. They finally fixed on the window from which pale green curtains cascaded down, just like snow did outside.

It's funny how things can change in matter of days. A few days ago, say ten days, I was walking back home with a box of recently baked biscuits in one hand and one coffee in the other, taking a sip from time to time, completely ignorant of what would happen within the next few days. In a few hours I would angrily grab my suitcase and shove my clothes in it, wait for my phone and computer to be fully charged and then I'd get in the car on my way to Allerdale Hall. The worst decision I could have ever made.

"She's a friend!" I startled at the sudden shouting on the other side of the door, "She's a friend of mine, you have to let me see her!" He said, before the door was opened in a somewhat violent fashion as Sam made his way into the room and the nurse turned around with a huff when she realised she couldn't stop him anymore. As soon as I saw him into the room I say up and managed to get on my feet. My leg hurt, but I had managed to get a man obviously bigger and heavier than me out of a haunted house and gotten him into a car to a hospital with a wounded leg, I was sure I could run into Sam's arms, or limp at least, "Oh, my God," he hugged me and I collapsed against his chest, "it's okay now," He said soothingly as I nodded and my tears stained his jacket, "it's okay now."

"I'm so happy you're okay," I said with an affected voice and hugging him tight.

"I am, don't worry," he stated and broke the hug, "I came to see if you guys were okay. I saw Nicholas," my eyes widened.

"How's he, is he okay?" I blurted out, "I need to see him-" I was about to walk but Sam grabbed my arm.

"He's doing fine, you have to rest."

"Why won't you let me see him? Is he really okay?"

"Yes, he is okay, Adeline don't  worry," he gently pushed me, leading me to the bed, "but, I have something to tell you, you should sit down." I felt something twisting in the pit of my stomach when he said that.

"I don't want to. Sam, what's going on?" There was a pause and that's when it hit me.

"Sam, where's Josh?" I said, staring at the brunette in front of me. He briefly looked into my eyes and then they dropped to the hospital tiles as he slightly shook his head, "I'm sorry."

A quiet gasp left my lips and tears immediately filled my eyes. I turned around and made my way to the window, staring straight ahead while flashbacks invaded my head.

I would never cook for two anymore, or shout at him for burning the food for Christmas, I would never find him asleep on the couch with his computer on his lap in the middle of the night, hear him sing off key in the shower in the mornings or catch him taking photos of me when distracted, he wouldn't be there anymore. I felt my heart pounding and breaking as my brain slowly processed the obvious.
"He was my best friend," I said in a whisper.

"Adeline," Sam said, I heard his footsteps approaching. I looked at him, his nose red and his brown eyes filled with tears too, "I'm sorry," he said, shaking his head, "I didn't drive fast enough, Adeline, I'm so sorry," I hugged him.

"It's not your fault," I said softly.

It was mine. I shouldn't have involved him. And Sam was basically a kid and I had thrown him into something really dangerous too. I had been so selfish. He broke the hug and wiped his tears with the back of his hand, I gave him a small smile and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Uh, I'll tell the nurse to give you your clothes back," he said and I looked down at the hospital clothes I was wearing. With that, Sam left the room and returned with the same nurse that cleaned my wounds. She checked on me one more time and then I changed into my clothes.

I was doing my best to hold back my feelings, I wanted to curl into a ball in my bed and cry. I had lost my best friend and Nicholas was stuck in a hospital bed. If something made me feel better, it was Sam.

He walked me to the room where Nicholas was. I was scared, really scared. I didn't know what to expect. I got this weird feeling in my chest as I walked through that corridor — empty, cold, never ending. It looked so similar to the corridor me and my dad had walked through every time we went to visit mum when she was ill. I didn't like it at all.

"I hate hospitals," I said in a whisper and slightly cringing.

"You're not the only one," Sam spoke as he stopped at one of the white doors, "here we are," he said, grabbing hold of the doorknob, making a short pause, "I, I think you should do this alone. Besides, my mum has been calling me, like thousands of times, I have to go back now."

"Don't worry," I said softly and with a small smile on my lips as I hugged him once again. I couldn't help but bury my face into his neck, I just felt in need of being hugged. Tears formed in my eyes, "I guess this is a goodbye then."

"This isn't a goodbye," he said, breaking the hug, "it's a see you soon," he smiled and so did I.

"Take care," I uttered before he left.

"You too," he said as he twirled around and smiled again. I grabbed the doorknob and watched him walk away and disappearing behind a wall. I took a deep breath before entering the room, reminding myself that we we're okay now, nothing was going to hurt us anymore. The only thing we had to do was heal and try to forget.

───────

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

hi everyone! i updated — it was about time huh, please don't kill me, i can explain! i had exams and i need to pass them so i can get a life, hehee — sorry if the chapter is kinda short, i though it'd be longer but oh well. i personally feel like this is a filler, sorry if you do too,  it's just that i thought it'd be better to see a little bit more of sam since he's too cute :3 anyway, i hope you liked it and i predict at least three more chapters of this book and then fin. i don't want this to end omg :''v
thanks for reading, voting and commenting! bye!

 i don't want this to end omg :''v thanks for reading, voting and commenting! bye!

also if you like
the flash go take
a peek at my book
ascendancy, okay,
bye!