ONE | RUNAWAY

❝ Coloured crimson in my eyes,
one or two could free my mind. ❞ 

───────

ONE | RUNAWAY

present day

"Do you really think this will help you?" I heard Josh asking from behind.

"I have to come back with a good story or I'll kill myself!" I half shouted at him as I thrust a ball of blouses into the suitcase. It had been a nightmare. Since my father had died, I found myself unable to write, the problem? Just one tiny problem, "This eternal writer's block is devouring my brain from the inside and it has to stop!" I walked to my closet again and Josh followed me. Yes, my brain had decided to stop working, it didn't cooperate with me and I was on edge.

"I still don't understand why did you promise to the editorial that you'd have a full length novel by the end of the year," he said, as I closed the suitcase.

"I have already written the first chapter, but . . ." There was a but, "That's all I can do and my brain is collapsing! But, I need to stay positive, no matter if I end up insane," he made his way towards me, slowly and carefully, like he was getting closer to the most dangerous thing on earth. Let's face it, we women are scary and unpredictable when we are angry. I still hadn't reached the point of crying at that time, yes I cry when I'm too angry.

"Alright," he took the red blouse I was gripping in my hand and then he placed his hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes, "you write a book because you are inspired to do so, and if something I know is that you're not inspired. We're in mid-November, you won't write a book in a few days, it is not possible."

"Josh, this is not about the editorial anymore, they can go to hell. This is about me now, I can't stay like this forever. I have to start now and seek that inspiration, get it back, or I know I never will. I can't mourn forever," I said, folding my arms over my chest, "I have to . . ." I whispered. I had been mourning for two years, quite a long time, but it was my father and we only had each other. Every time I sat to start writing, all I could think about was my father. I missed him.

"Hey, I have been your flatmate for three years and I know you always keep your promises," I smiled.

"Not one of them though. I promised to have-"

"The book?" He scoffed, "You're right." He smiled, playfully. Josh was such a sweet guy, I think he was twenty eight or something, I still remember the day when I came to see the flat and the landlord told me that the other person had already moved in. I thought twice when he told me that my flatmate would be a man. The landlord began with a whole story of how he seemed a good guy and that the person was a photographer. I accepted though, I was already tired of looking for a flat and I was sure that the little self-defence lessons I took weren't just a waste of money and time. I though my flatmate would be some boring freak but I was wrong, and I knew it when the dark-haired and green-eyed guy behind those nerdy spectacles opened the door with a smile plastered on his face. I'm a twenty-six year-old woman with a possible crush on my flatmate. Anyway, we sat on the bed and I caressed my watch with my thumb, "Where's the wind taking you, Goldilocks?" I shook my head.

"You know where," I looked up at him and his eyes widened, "don't look at me like that. It's good to change the environment when you write, the ideas start to flow and I want to go there-"

"Are you serious? You're going to Cumbria?" I nodded, "Adeline, it's a five-hour car trip, you could go somewhere else, and for the pictures you showed me, the place is falling apart and those were old photos, can you imagine how deteriorated that house is now?"

"I know, but . . ." I stood up and paced around my room, rubbing my forehead, "You know, the place is kind of what I need right now. It's away from the town, nobody will disturb me and it's the only place I know where I don't have to pay a penny to stay in," And I hadn't gone there since I was six and was dying to do so.

"Yes, but you'll be alone," I rolled my eyes, "why did your father buy that house anyway?" I stood by the window with my arms crossed.

"He always talked about living there and restoring it but that never happened."

"Have you ever been to?" I looked down at my hands, remembering the last few day where I felt my mother's love in a hug, in a kiss, in a caress.

"Once, I was six . . . but I don't remember much about it. Anyway, I'll wait for my laptop and phone to be fully charged and I'll leave."

"You're packing your bags and heading to a place you don't know. Adeline, you can't go there alone."

"Josh, for goodness' sake, I'm a grown woman," I walked to my desk and collected my books, notes and more stuff I was going to need, "Besides, I want to go there," I shrugged.

"Why is that? The only thing you'll find there is an old house in the middle of nowhere," Josh said. I grabbed a bag and put everything inside.

"Not sure about it," I stared blankly ahead, "I've always wanted to. Dad never went to that house again, neither did I, and I don't know, I feel like I should go," I frowned, "I've had that feeling since . . . well, ever." I said softly and heard Josh's chuckles.

"You're insane," He said and I gasped before hitting his arm with a book.

"You're such an ass!"

"Maybe I am, and maybe you're insane, but I like you that way," I chuckled.

"Oh shut up," I shook my head, "you know what? You could come to Cumbria when you are free. Meanwhile, I can take your baseball bat to beat someone if that makes you feel better."

"No, you're not taking my bat to that place, plus it's autographed by-"

"You know that even if you name that guy I won't have a clue of who he is," I said, "I'll be alright, I promise," He smiled and sighed as he stood up and walked out of my room.

"Just, be careful."

───────

AUTHOR'S NOTE : 

hello there! You have read the very first chapter of Painted in Crimson. Thank you so much for the support on the prologue of this book, I never thought I'd have so much of it! Thank you for reading, voting and leaving feedback. If you liked this chapter press the little star over there, it turns orange when you do it!