PROLOGUE

T R A I L E R

───────

PROLOGUE | SECOND CHANCE

twenty years earlier

"Dad, I don't like this place," I said in a tiny voice as my hand grabbed hold of my father's leg. He lifted me up and carried me in his arms. Black moths crawled the walls and flew over our heads, it was the most terrifying thing for me at the age of six, "I don't like moths," my voice broke and tears began to fill my eyes as I buried my face in my father's neck.

"They won't hurt you, darling. Come, let's see what's over there and we'll meet mum in the living room," I nodded. We got into a big room with artefacts and things that seemed like toys, all sorts of trinkets. Toys, what kind of kid doesn't like toys? My father put me on my feet and I ran into the room while my father stood at the door.

We had come to a place away from home. I remember that dad had driven for hours before arriving at the biggest house I had ever seen. They wanted to buy it, and well, they did, that morning to be more precise and we were exploring the place.

The piano played downstairs, a soft and muffled melody was heard. It was my father's favourite song, mum always played it for him. I loved when she played the piano, it made me feel like nothing bad could happen.

"Oh darn it . . ." My father suddenly said but I continued admiring the toys, "Adeline, stay here, I think I dropped the keys back there, don't move, alright?" I didn't even answer, but he knew I'd stay there.

I limited myself only to watch the toys. I turned around when I heard footsteps to welcome dad with a smile, but it wasn't dad. A man that I had never seen before stood by the door, smiling at me.

"Do you like my workshop?" He asked with soft and melodious voice as he got closer, with every step he took he looked even taller. I didn't answer, just stood there fidgeting my fingers. He squatted down to reach my height and looked at my face. I couldn't help but give him a smile, at least a coy one. He reached for a small hand carved rocking horse on the table and put it in my hands, his fingers brushed mine, his were cold, "Help me . . ." He whispered, I didn't understand.

"We'll be down in a moment!" My father's voice echoed through the corridors and I immediately turned to the door and then turning to the man again, but he wasn't there anymore, "Hey, where did you get that?" My father asked as he approached with the keys in his hands and he squatted down before me to examine the piece of wood in my hands.

"It's pretty!" I chirped.

"It's very pretty," he lifted me up, "It's time for us to leave," he carried me out of the room and I looked over his shoulder, wondering where the blue-eyed man had gone. I never told anyone about it, sometimes I think it's only an altered memory, I was too young, only a child, maybe it was only a product of my imagination.

I never stepped into that house again and we never moved in since mum fell ill a couple of weeks later, she never recovered and four months later she died, leaving my dad and I alone. Nothing was the same again. Except my fascination for the house on the hill, the house on Crimson Peak.

───────

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

hello everybody, this is my new brand fanfiction! This idea has been fluttering in my head for a while and I've decided to put it into words since there are not too many Crimson Peak fanfictions on Wattpad. I have to thank -ScarsPetrova for supporting my idea of writing a Crimson Peak fanfic, you're the best! Do leave your thoughts, I'd love to know what you think about this, please don't forget to vote and spread the word, thank you! I really hope you enjoy this, bye!

update: 23th of May 2016 - Trailer!

update: 20th of January 2017 - back to drafts (revision and editing, minor changes in storyline).