TWENTY-TWO | RELIGION

❝Staring out to dark
your reflection stares right on,
searching for the one
with whom my lover will move on.❞

─────── 

TWENTY TWO | RELIGION

It had been eight weeks since the events that occurred in the house on the hill. A place where strange things had been taking place over the past decades. Some would fear and avoid Allerdale Hall at all costs, some would feel curious and would go into the property instead —just like Adeline and I did. Snow had melted, yet the cold air remained, blowing softly, dragging the thin clouds in the grey sky. The grass fields surrounding the house had lost their vibrant green and adopted a duller shade, matching with the mansion. The whole scenery was a palette with pale, dark and somewhat depressing colours, however it was beautiful in its own way.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked as we drove through the gates of Allerdale Hall, yet again, "I admit I don't feel comfortable with this," I added, toying with the can of tuna Adeline had handed me before we left the hospital, "come on, we're here for a cat, I'm pretty sure it can find something to hunt. Maybe you already forgot this is the place we almost got killed in."

"I know, I'm sorry," she said mildly as she slightly drummed her fingers on the steering wheel, "but, I can't leave him here. There's nothing to worry about, though I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Thomas again," I looked through the window and sighed.

"I don't mind running into him, I do mind running into her sister," I stated, slightly shifting in my seat, "I don't even think you'll find that cat."

"I told you I'll take a quick look, and the tuna will help a lot," I sighed again, seeing how the mansion seemed to grow as we approached. The car came to a halt and I couldn't help but feel shivers running down my spine, I just hated to be there, "five minutes, that's all I ask, you don't have to come in with me, stay in the car and don't worry," she said, "nothing's gonna happen, everything's over, we saw her die," she unbuckled her seatbelt.

"That's the problem, she was already dead."

"Nic, she's not here anymore, she's gone," she said in a soothing voice as she put her hand over mine, there was no way to stop her from going inside the house for that cat. I handed her the tuna.

"Five minutes," I told her, her lips curled into a smile and so did mine.

"I'll be right back," she leaned in for a quick kiss and then she closed the door behind her. I inhaled deeply as I observed her go inside the mansion, disappearing through the doors. I drummed my fingers on my knees anxiously, absentmindedly biting my lower lip. This was the last thing I thought I would do, to return to this cursed place. I thought this would be the day we'd leave it all behind and we'd start anew, I was wrong. To sleep in a small hospital bed for two months  after you've had mayor surgery after being shot by a possessed woman isn't nice, so everything I wanted was to finally go home and do what I —as a doctor— recommended to my patients: to rest.

My index finger looked for the heater and was about to turn it up when I looked over the dashboard and saw the sudden fog forming at the distance. I saw it slowly crawling through the high grass surrounding the mansion while my finger froze on the heater button. Since we were in Allerdale Hall, where anything could happen, I didn't know what to think. I wasn't sure if it was only the weather or a paranormal activity kind of thing. I opened the door and slowly got out of it, holding my still sore side and then staring at the fog, "Adeline?" I shouted, hoping her to hear me. I called her name again, seeing how my breath condensed in the cold air.