Chapter Eighteen

Steve

"Here's your jacket," I say to tony as I hand him his belonging.

"Thanks," he mumbles, snatching it out of my hand.

I put the keys into the ignition, "Are you doing okay?"

"I'm fine, drive." He sounds as though some had just thrown his feelings into a shredder.

"You answered that too fast, tell me what's wrong," I say.

He pauses, "I'm fine. Happy now?"

I sigh, "Well if you won't tell me what's wrong, I guess I'm just going to have to play some of your favorite music." I add a hint of a playful tone with a smirk.

I turn on one of the classic rock stations, and luckily, they're playing some ACDC. I turn the volume knob and smile.

"C'mon, you love this song! I know I've heard you listen to it only about twenty times."

I see the smallest of smirks escape from his lips.

"Tony! Come on now! I'm on the HIGHWAY TO-"

"Okay, okay. I'm happy! Just don't sing, please," He says, letting a few chuckles crack through his emotions.

I turn down the music, "Okay, if you insist. But seriously, you want to go get some food and talk it out?"

"Sure Steve, that'd be great," he replies with a warm smile.

I crunch up the wrapper to my burger and throw it down on my tray.

"How do you eat so much and still stay in shape?" Tony asks.

"You see, Stark, there's this new crazy thing. It's called working out," I say, sarcastically.

He rolls his eyes.

"Don't change the subject. So you thought Meredith was cheating on you the whole time?" I ask.

He twists up his face, "I don't know if she was, maybe she has just moved forward kind of quickly. It doesn't matter I guess, I just feel bad for telling Clint to shove it up his ass."

"He's your best friend, I'm sure he'll get over it. But, do you still want to stay over at my house?"

He takes a sip of his drink, "Please? I mean, if it's okay with you. I might not be mad at Meredith, but I know I'm pissed at my Dad."

"Of course it's okay, Tony. You can stay over whenever you want."

He smiles, "I can't thank you enough... Let me throw this junk away." He gathers up the stray papers and piles them up on the trays.

"Thanks," I mutter.

This feels... Strange. Yeah, I guess that's the feeling? The feeling I have when I'm with only Tony. I don't get this feeling when I hang out with Bucky, Sam, or any of my other close friends. It's like butterflies in my stomach, almost as if he gives me more soul. Gives me more life. It's like it's impossible to be sad around him. It's nice. It explains my compulsive need to be around him.

"Hey, you ready to get out of here?" Tony asks, snapping me out of my mind drift.

"Yeah, let's head home," I reply.

"Thanks for that, Steve. It really hit the spot."

I stand from the booth and walk to the door to hold it open for Tony. We walk to the truck, bellies full and minds at ease.

We drive home in silence, but not an awkward silence. A bit of a silence filled with joy. That's how you know you are true friends with someone, there are no awkward silences. If you hang out with someone you hardly know, when silence falls it will make you feel uncomfortable. But when you're hanging out with someone like Tony, silences become happy. They become a moment of serenity between two friends.

I pull into the driveway of my house and we hop out of the truck.

"Parents aren't home?" Tony asks.

"Nope, I actually think they're going to be out all night."

Tony shrugs, "Cool."

I unlock the door and Tony and I head straight for my bedroom. Once we arrive, he plops himself down in my desk chair as I head to my closet to get the air mattress he slept on last night out.

"Thanks again for letting me stay, Steve," Tony speaks when I'm done blowing up the inflatable bed.

"No problem. Blankets and stuff are in the closet when you need them," I tell him while hanging my backpack on the hook on my door.

Tony stands and walks to my closet. He takes out a thin blanket and begins unfolding it casually.

"Steve?" Tony starts.

"Yes Tony?" I ask, arranging some things on my desk.

"Why are you single?" He asks.

I raise my eyebrows and whip my head around to see him still making his small bed.

"Well?" He asks.

"I, uhm... I don't know, Tony," I tell him.

"Come on, Steve. You're good looking, you're the most popular guy in school, I mean you could get anyone you want." He plops down one of my old pillows.

"I mean, girls have definitely asked me out. It just doesn't feel right, you know?"

Tony sighs, "Steve, have you ever even had a girlfriend?"

"Well, yeah. I had a really nice one all of freshman year. Her name was Peggy, but she switched schools," I tell him, remembering my beautiful girl from a few years ago.

"Wait, freshman year? Steve, are you a virgin?" Tony asks, putting his bed making to a halt.

I feel embarrassment in my cheeks, "Maybe, what's so wrong with that?"

Tony raises his hands in defense, "Nothing, nothing at all. It's just that girls like a man with a bit of experience."

"Tony, girls like a man that doesn't sexualize them and treats them with respect," I reply with a smug smirk.

"And how many of these said girls have you slept with?"

I roll my eyes, "Shut up Stark."

He laughs, "So many people tell me that."

I smile at his pleasant mood. He can make fun of me still having my virginity all he wants, as long as he's happy.

Tony kicks his air mattress lightly, "This thing is deflating quick, I think it has a leak."

I raise my eyebrows and look over at it, "It's old, I'll have to buy a new one. You take the bed tonight, I'll sleep on the couch."

"No, I can't let you do that. I'll just sleep on the floor," Tony offers.

"Now I can't make you do that."

Tony sighs, "You could sleep in your parents' bed?"

"No, then they'll know I had someone over without asking," I answer.

"And good ole Steve Rogers can't get in trouble," he says, crossing his arms.

I smirk, "You know what, we can just sleep in the same bed."

Tony looks surprised, "And you're comfortable with that?"

"Well, I mean girls do it. And no homo," I tell him.

He laughs, "Alright Steve. No homo."