Another Color

Twilight sorted through their mail

Twilight sorted through their mail. At first, it had been strange being back in their small apartment after their extravagant honeymoon. After two months went by, however, a sort of routine took hold. Rather than memories of the honeymoon flashing through her mind, Twilight was concentrating on the name of one of the letters she pulled out of the stack. It was from Pinkie Pie and likely just another one of her over-enthusiastic congratulations cards that she wouldn't stop sending.

What attracted Twilight's attention was not the sender's name but rather the recipient's. It was the first time she had really taken notice of the name on any of the envelopes since the wedding. Such things were usually not worthy of attention, so it was only now that she realized it was different.

Twilight Shimmer.

Shimmer.

The letter was dropped quickly back onto the kitchen table and Twilight almost tripped over herself reaching the desk in the living room. She threw open a drawer and pulled out the folder on the top that contained the record copies of the papers they had filled out at the courthouse. One of the forms had a family name change field that automated the name changing that often occurred with legal marriages. There were a variety of checkboxes there: Keep, Combine, Borrow, and New.

She had been so tired that day. All of the wedding planning...Sunset had filled out some of the papers for her while she had relaxed in one of the lounge's plush chairs. The two of them had never landed on a decision for their names and so decided at the last minute to keep their original names and then change later if they wanted to.

There was the copy. "Borrow" was checked on Twilight's side of the paper. That meant that she had been legally renamed with Sunset's family name. Pinkie hadn't pulled a prank on the letter address. That was her real name now.

Twilight dropped unceremoniously into the desk chair and slid the form onto the surface of the desk. Slowly but calmly she took her thick-rimmed black glasses off of her face. Then she rubbed the bridge of her nose and leaned back.

"Hah," she let out after a pause. "Haha!"

She glanced over to the form on the desk and slapped her hands onto the armrests, the wedding ring on her finger making a clicking sound in the process.

"You cheeky girl!" she half shouted and half laughed. It was a heart-stopping revelation at first, but Twilight was fast to recover. Sunset was going to get it when she got home.

Twilight slid her glasses back onto her face and tightened the ponytail that held her bountiful hair up. The clock on the wall indicated it would be two hours before Sunset got back from her odd job over at Night Light's spare invention shop. Twilight would have spent time reflecting on their unique professional positions if it were not for the timely knock at the door.

BANG BANG BANG!

"Wonder who that could be?" Twilight rolled her eyes.

She got up from the chair and patiently walked to the door in her purple slippers in spite of the impatient sounds coming from outside. When she unlocked and opened the door, the visitor came falling forward. She obviously was attempting to put her full weight into the next knock. Twilight caught the athletic girl in her arms and helped her back to full height.