Chapter One: Things Unseen

You're worthless! What do you think you're even doing with yourself!? You'll never amount to anything like this!

She smacks her red and black haired child across the face. The child fell to the ground crying all bruised up from previous nights before.

Only the best of the best make it to Beacon. But you, you won't ever make it like this. And quit the crying! Now get up and try again!

Her daughter got back on her feet sniffling as she did so. She cried out in anger and a flash of white light surrounded the room and all the training dummies has burned away without any trace left of them. The child stood there afraid of what her mother might do to her next. Her goal was slash at the vital areas of each one of the beowolf dummies, but she knew she hadn't accomplish that. She was going to slowly turn around, but her mother placed a gentle hand on her head and ruffled her hair.

"Hey dimwit! Stop starring into space and get some work done!" Weiss yelled bringing Ruby out of the memory ten years ago and back to reality.

Weiss and Ruby had been roommates for a week and just couldn't get on the right foot. They even shared some classes together, but tomorrow would decide it for them, their initiation day.
Ruby shook her head startled, reviewed her homework and began to finish up whatever problems are had left on the assignment.

"I can't believe I have a freak as my roommate." Weiss said on the phone.

Ruby looked up for a second, but as soon as Weiss flashed her a glare, she drew her eyes back down to her assignment as Weiss continued her ramble on how freaky Ruby seemed to her.

"I don't know sister, but she wears black like all the time, hardly ever says a word and I don't even know how she got into this school! She waves around a giant scythe that she can barely even hold. Like you can literally see her hands and knees shaking! What am I to do!? I'm going to have to do all the work in battle if we fall under some altercation! I just can't believe this! I hope we don't end up as partners tomorrow during initiation."

Ruby stared at Weiss from under her bangs and quickly and stealthfully grabbed her book bag and books and left the dorm room. Ruby made her way to the library and found herself a little corner where she could study and hopefully stop having flashbacks of her childhood.

How am I going to make it through? She wondered. I made it this far, I made it to Beacon, but I'm roommates with such a cold hearted person. Someone so beautiful, but yet so cold? Why? Maybe we can switch roommates so she could be with someone not as... scary...

After about 45 minutes of starring at the words on the text book and not actually studying, Ruby went back to her dorm room and saw Weiss reading a book. She didn't want to interrupt her, but they had to try to at least communicate together.

"Hey um, Weiss... Sorry if I'm bothering you, bu--"

"Spit it out red head. The faster you get to the point, the less I would have to waste my time on you."

Ruby swallowed. "I was just thinking that maybe we could, I don't know... um, change roommates."

"Oh, so are you saying that you despise me?"

"No, I just feel that you would be better off..."

"If you hate me, you can just say it you know. Cause I hate you too. People like you are nothing to me."

That was when Ruby decided to turn for the door to head outside with Cresent Rose with her.

"And oh, the idea of switching roommates sounds very appealing to me, but remember, initiation starts tomorrow and if we end up as partners, there's no way we can change roommates. That was made clear. So don't get your hopes up."