Chapter Two: Initiation

Ruby, Weiss and several other students were lined up on the cliff of Emerald Forest. They didn't really know the other students personally, but knew them enough from class. Weiss looked at the students before her, none of which she felt she wanted to be partners with, except for Pyrrha Nikos. Pyrrha was smart, talented, and an exceptional fighter. Even quite striking, but not as appealing to the girl next to her. Ruby Rose. Ruby is the quiet type, kind of dull and maybe a little aloof, but something about her drew Weiss' attention. She was dark. Always clad in dark clothing. She tends to keep to herself which kind of bothers Weiss. And for the fact that she seems a little too timid.

She looked over at her roommate and just saw her starring out into the distance.

Priorities over crushes Weiss. She's helpless. Remember that she can barely maneuver with that giant scythe.

The more she looked at Ruby, the more she couldn't help putting a label on her. All black and a giant scythe? Ruby's scythe and hair were probably the only things that gave Ruby some color.

"Ahem." Professor Ozpin our school headmaster started by clearing his throat. "First off, we would like to apologize for postponing Initiation. We had some other ideas into who would end up becoming your partner for the rest of your time here. I had asked your professors to observe how you interact with your roommate. Some of you are have a great start and will most likely become partners. Others, you are struggling, but today will determine whether or not you will become partners. Each of you will be launched in random parts of Emerald Forest. And beware, wherever you land is full of grimm. You are to take out all the grimm in your location, once you have finished, a buzzer will go off on your scroll. We will be analyzing your choices of action to determine your partner. Once your buzzer goes off, report back here. Are we clear?"

Each one of the students nodded.

[Ruby's POV]

Oh boy, I hope I don't get any random flashbacks... And I do really hope Weiss and I end up being partners. I want to be able to break her and have her see the world in a different light. But maybe it's just me that's the problem and it's better if we weren't partners at all. Tch! I should really try to stop thinking about Weiss altogether and maybe I can start over with someone else...? But who? Ah! Pyrrha Ni...kos... or not... Looks like Weiss already has her eyes set on her...

"Alright, we begin, now!"

Great.... Here goes!

[End of POV]

Ruby launched herself forward and switched the gears on her Cresent Rose to gun mode pulling the trigger a few times to accelerate herself even faster and farther. She then activated her semblance going at a speed of a bullet. She switched gears on Cresent Rose again when she saw several tree branches before her. She used her scythe to twirl around the branches and landed safely on the ground.

Weiss hopped from tree to tree and from brach to branch. She didn't want to waste any of her aura by just flying in the air unless she had to. Once she had made her landing, she took her fighting stance with Myrtenaster drawn out in her left hand. There were three beowolves before her.

Ha! This should be nothing compared to the armored giant I fought a few years ago. I missed my mark once, I won't miss it again.

[Ruby's POV]

Surrounding her were at least a pack of ten beowolves. She had Cresent Rose at the ready. But she was shaking. She closed her eyes to shut away all memories haunting her from the past.

Focus Ruby, and you'll be alright. Maybe you can prove your worth now...

"You guys took the life of my mother. But I get it, it was either you guys or her! I can't blame anyone or anything for wanting to live, as for me, I'm slowly realizing my purpose, to become a Huntress!" Ruby cried out as she jumped in the air swinging her scythe and removing the heads of the beowolves before her.