Chapter XXVIII

>>> Autumn Rose <<<
The stranger grabbed my arm and tugged. I turned around, and looked at him. He took a step towards me, and came close to my face. I closed my eyes, and breathed softly. His lips pressed against mine, gently and with tenderness. My heart leaped into my throat, and my cheeks burnt like a fire. Every emotion I was feeling grew stronger, and in that moment I was overwhelmed. He does care...
Slowly, he pulled away.  He pulled his hood down, as if it was a habit, making sure it was low. The second his lips left mine, I wanted to feel them again. I opened my eyes slowly, as they searched the darkness. I could see his figure outlined in front of me, the moonlight shining against his cloak.
"Sorry," he whispered. I smiled and blushed, then whispered back.
"Don't be sorry. I'm glad you did." I'd never been kissed before, but I knew for sure that I was glad my first kiss was with him. There was a moment of silence between us. He loves me, I thought. He really cares. He looked at the sky, and my eyes followed his.
"It'll be the full moon any second now." He murmured. It seemed to me that he was talking more to himself than me, but I nodded my head and responded anyway.
"It should be. Do you want to walk again?" I asked. He nodded his reply, then we walked. A long silence followed. I closed my eyes for a moment, and relived the moment. He was so gentle, something I found a bit surprising. Who knew someone as cold and evil as him, a killer and a thief, could be so tender?
"You know, you've gotten to be quite strong since you first got here. I'm very impressed with how much progress you've managed to make," he interrupted my thoughts. Blushing slightly, I looked down at my feet as we walked.
"Thank you. I had a great teacher, you know," I replied and chuckled softly. I felt like I could see him smiling, but I knew I couldn't. It was just my imagination.
"So, what's it like being leader?" He asked.
"Well I don't really know. I mean, we haven't really done anything yet."
"We really should do a raid," he repeated. "That's probably the best way to get them to trust you."
"That would be a good idea." I paused. "You know, I really think you would've made a better leader than me. You've been around longer."
"That might be true, but it's in your blood. With your father being a leader, you know. He was great, I'm sure you can be too."
"I know about my dad but I never really knew him. I didn't know he was a werewolf until after he was dead. When he was alive I thought he was, you know, about as normal as everyone else."
"You have nothing to worry about," The stranger assured me. I sighed, and watched my feet as we walked.
"I hope you're right," I replied shortly.

>>> Soren Hawethorne <<<
    I sat in the barn, on a pile of hay, looking over the trap I had set in front of the chicken pen. The hay was pointy and itchy, and I was tired from staying up all night. Aware that I couldn't fall asleep, but struggling to stay awake, I closed my eyes and let my mind wander. I had to be certain of what I was seeing. I had to see if anything got caught or if it escaped and if it did, how it managed to get away. If it was a person, I was sure they would see the traps and avoid them.  I had to see what person came. I had to catch whoever was doing this, even if my traps couldn't.
My eyes were heavy, and my head started dropping.  I opened my eyes and lifted my head. I had to stay awake, I couldn't sleep. Not now.  I stood up, and paced back and forth. Maybe this will keep me awake, I thought. It was so far into the night, I started thinking that maybe nothing would come. Maybe this was all for nothing. Maybe maybe maybe... Maybe something would come. Maybe this would prove to be worth it after all. My head started sinking again, and my eyes slowly started closing. I stretched, and reminded myself of my mission.  I have to stay awake, I told myself.  I have to.
    This could answer all my questions about Autumn and Chase. This could answer the mystery of whether or not werewolves were real. If I missed this opportunity, my questions would be unanswered for another month or more. Filled with a new determination, I reminded myself that I must stay awake. I can't fall asleep, I repeated.
    Suddenly, there was a sound of ropes pulling tight. Instantly my eyes shot open. I looked out the window, and saw it. There, caught in the trap, was a wolf. I couldn't see anything more than it's outline, it was too dark to see anything else. I knew that I had caught the chicken thief. It turned out to be nothing more than a wild animal. I sat back in the hay, and closed my eyes, content with my discovery, but also slightly disappointed. I guess it wasn't Autumn after all, and it certainly wasn't Chase. Perhaps I owe them an apology? I shook my head, and yawned. No. What they don't know can't hurt them. I rested my head back against the wall and sighed. I should sleep. I saw it and ... My eyes closed, and this time I let them stay shut. I dozed off to sleep, and waited for the morning.