Chapter XXIX

>>> Autumn Rose <<<
I sat up in my room staring blankly out the window.  The streets were empty of all except the children looking into the windows of the inn.  I could hear the mob raging and screaming downstairs.  Their voices were blurred, to much of my relief.  I didn't want to hear what they were saying.  They're probably plotting my death, I thought to myself.  I rubbed the dragon necklace with my thumb, and watched the children taking turns pushing each other out the way to look into the window.  Suddenly, all the voices hushed.  I could hear Peter shouting out to them below me.  The floor muffled the sound, but one name mixed amongst the words stuck out to me, Soren.

I shivered in the cold, and silently looked around.  A net?  I'm trapped in a net?  I wanted to scream for help but I quickly recognized where I was.  I was at the farm, right in front of the chicken pen.  The sun would be coming up soon, and whoever set this trap would undoubtably be coming.  I must've been caught last night.  I chastised myself mentally.  Stupid stupid stupid!  Fool!  This is going to cost me my life for sure.  At that moment those words hadn't sunk in.  I looked around for something that I could use to cut the rope.  It was suspended up, using a tree branch for support. Dragon's Tooth! I remembered the dagger the stranger had given me. I reached to my belt, and seized it. I began sawing at the ropes hastily. I don't have to cut them all. If I cut enough the stress might make the rest snap, I thought to myself. I've got to be fast. I threw a hasty glance up to where the sun was, and realized with a sinking heart, whoever set this trap will be coming soon. I listened in for footsteps, but heard none. All I could hear was the light breathing of someone who was sleeping. It came from the barn. Someone's here. They probably stayed here to watch the trap but dozed off.  I sighed with relief.  With a little luck, that means I'll have a bit more time.  I began sawing more hastily at the ropes, knowing that my time could very well be out within minutes.  With a snap, one rope broke.  With a feeble smile to myself, I turned to another rope and began work on it.
That rope and a few more snapped as well, but right when I was about to break out, I heard the hay stir.  I froze, and listened closely.  Someone was standing up and brushing their hands against their pants.  They're waking up!  I realized.  I looked at the rope trap with a sinking heart.  Not enough to escape.  I tucked the knife away into my belt and watched the barn.  Slowly, I collected my emotions.  I have to look calm, I thought.  But do I have to look calm for myself, or for the person who sees me, I challenged myself mentally.

I was jolted back to reality.  Children were scampering away from the inn, whispering to each other as they went.  Shortly after, the adults followed, leaning over and whispering in a similar way, undoubtedly talking about the same topic.  Below, I could hear two familiar voices talking in low tones. Even though they're alone, they're still whispering, I thought to myself. I suppose an execution isn't something you talk about with a loud voice.

>>> Soren Hawethorne <<<
    The crowd began walking out the inn. Peter turned to me, and whispered.
"Do you mind if we keep her in your inn?"  I shook my head gently.
"Not at all." I replied shortly but politely. Peter patted my shoulder with a merry smile.
    "I knew we could count on you. It's just two days, after all. I'm just across the road, if you have any troubles." I smiled this time and nodded. Peter's eyes looked me over, then he said, "what do we do if anyone wants to visit her?" I hadn't thought about that.
    "I don't think she'll have any visitors," I thought out loud. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see her.
    "Well I don't think so either, but what if she does have friends who want to say their goodbyes? Do we let them?" I considered it. Anyone who wanted to talk to her was probably an accomplice or one of them. Yet, at the same time, she could have made innocent friends. Look at yourself, I thought. You used to spend time with her and yet you didn't see through the masquerade.
    "I suppose we can allow her visits," I replied airily. Peter nodded, and left after that. I stood for a few moments staring blindly at the wall. I wasn't sure if I was thinking about anything, I didn't think so.
    After a while, I woke up from my trans.  I looked around at my inn blankly, then went outside for some fresh air.  I'll go to the woods, I added, and perhaps I'll fish or hunt.

>>> Chase Ashfield <<<
    Werewolves paced around angrily in the lair, most of them growling to themselves.  I was pacing too, but not angrily.  I was pacing deep in thought, wondering what I would do now. I didn't blame them for being angry.  Autumn really had put us in a dangerous situation. I couldn't just let her go, I had to rescue her, and it wasn't something I was going to able to do on my own.  It was something I would need help for, and they knew it.  They don't care, I thought angrily.  They think she was a careless juvenile girl who didn't have the experience and the skills necessary for being a leader.  This just proves them right, what reason do they have to save her now?  I stopped pacing for a moment, and looked around at everyone else.
I opened my mouth, prepared to deliver a long and liberating speech, then closed my mouth. I don't need to sound as crazy as I really am, I told myself. I don't need all of them, to save her anyway, I thought. I could do it on my own, if I get lucky, but I can't count on luck.
My eyes started combing through the crowd of people pacing and growling. I'm only going to get one chance, I added, a knot forming in my stomach. If I can get one smart and trustworthy person to do it with me, I can do it. My eyes rested upon one person, and I smiled to myself. He's the perfect one for the job, I thought.
I called out to the crowd and announced that I had a plan to fix this, and that I was going to rescue Autumn. There was a brief outburst of dismay and anger, disagreement of course, but after a few moments they fell quiet. They were eager to hear my plan. I could see the look of curiosity on all their faces. I denied them the satisfaction. I told them that the only plan I had was to rescue her, not what happened after. That was her decision. Felix locked eyes with me for a moment, and in that moment everything that needed saying was conveyed without a word.
I left the room, and headed to my private quarters. Felix followed me and entered. He sat down on my bed, and sighed. Then he said in a low voice,
    "So what crazy plan have you come up with, to save your girlfriend?"
    "She's not my girlfriend, and here's the plan..."