6 | Let's play tackles

Steph's P.O.V

We're all at Ellen's house celebrating Jake's big win and messing around in the pool playing games. It's spring and the weather is starting to warm up, the sun is starting to get that slight sting to it, it's the perfect weekend.

I'm brought out of my thoughts when I'm splashed in the face by Jake bombing into the pool right next to me. "Hey, watch it!" I yell, pretending to be upset. Then I tackle him and he pushes me away laughing.

"Did I do something?" He asks with I smile, trying to act innocent and play along.

"Oh, no. It's ok I'll just get you back when you're not expecting it." I say, giving him the best mischievous look I can.

"Hey, I know, let's play tackles." Sam says. "Me and my brothers play with my cousins at Christmas time. In pairs one person on the others shoulders and the pair to push the other pair over wins."

"Yeah, ok." I say. "But I'm going to be against Jake." I say with a menacing grin.

The teams became Sam and Mia, me and Felix, Jake and Ellen while Andy decided that he wanted to go home, so he could work on the science homework we got yesterday that isn't due until Thursday.

We messed around in the pool playing tackles for ages, laughing so much at some points we couldn't breath. I don't think anyone really won we were just having fun and enjoying ourselves.

We stayed outside in the pool until it started to get dark and we decided that we should pack up and go home for dinner. Sam and Mia went home and Jake and Felix started taking stuff back inside leaving me outside alone with Ellen.

"Hey, so how are you settling in to Bremin?" Ellen asked.

"It's pretty good. I mean I have made some awesome new friends and we've had heaps of fun."

"Ha, yeah, Bremin isn't usually this exiting. It's usually really boring and uneventful." Ellen sighed. "But we have had fun and with the Bandicoots in the footy finals hopefully things will stay interesting around here for a while."

"Yeah, it would be good if the Bandicoots can win the finals. Who are they playing anyway?"

"Umm, the Goannas, I think."

"The Goannas, as in the Cessnock Goannas?"

"Yeah, that's them. Why?"

"Oh, nothing, just wondering."

We took Ellen's speakers inside, the boys mucking around, and then came back out for the rest of the stuff.

"Steph, this is going to seem weird but, what do you think of Felix?" Ellen asked me.

"Um, I don't know. What do you mean?" I replied puzzled.

"I mean how do you feel about him, do you like him?"

"Well we're friends. So yeah, I guess I like him."

"No, I mean do you really like him, would you go out with him?"

"Umm...." I had no idea how to respond. I do 'really like him' and I would love to date him but I don't want to get in the way of him and Ellen, I think that they like each other.

"I don't really know, I haven't known him for very long." I answered hoping that Ellen would take that and change the subject.

"Look, I'm going to be straightforward with you. He likes you and I just want to make sure that he's going to be ok, and you won't hurt him."

"No. I'm not going to hurt him. Why would I hurt him? I thought that you and Felix were a thing." Now I was really confused.

"No, me and Felix, we are not a thing. We have been best friends since preschool and if there was going to be anything between us I think it would've happened already." She said with a slight smile. "But he likes you, I know he does."

"How do you know?" I asked

"I can see it by the way he looks at you and smiles and you make him laugh." Ellen tried to smile. "I haven't seen him this happy in a long time. I don't think he has been this happy since before Oscar's accident." Ellen said with a somber tone.

"Do I really make him that happy?" I asked and she nodded. "Well I do think I'm starting to get feelings towards him."

"Just promise me that if he asks you out you'll look after him."

"I promise. I wouldn't dream of hurting him." Ellen gave me a smile that said thank you. "Lets go back inside to the boys." We went back inside and Jake, Felix and I all went home.

On my way home I kept thinking about the conversation I had with Ellen. I do have feelings for Felix and if he asks me out then I will be happy to be his girlfriend and I will never hurt him.

I got home just in time for dinner, mum was dishing up and Luca was setting the table. I gave them both big hugs. I was definitely going to like living in Bremin.

~~~~~~

Sorry about all the dialogue guys, I hope it's not to hard to follow, but I felt that it was important to show that Ellen wants Steph and Felix to be together. And the part about the Bandicoots playing against the Goannas will be important later.

Please vote.

Love you all
Steph 😘