12 | Since Kaleb

Steph's P.O.V

It's around 7:30 and the party has been going for just over an hour. Everyone is out in our backyard eating or swimming in the pool and listening to the music Luca is playing through my stereo. The crowd is starting to get to me so I left the pool 'to get a drink' and headed up to my personal balcony that comes off my room.

As I walk past the bathroom I grab a towel and go into my room across the hall. Closing the door behind myself I open the top draw of my dresser and grab my pack of smokes and a lighter. I feel the cool breeze hit me as I step through my sliding glass door and I wrap myself in my towel. Sitting down in my cocoon chair I get one of the thin, white sticks out of the box placing it between my lips, cupping my hand over the end to light it. Usually I would use my fire power to light it when I'm in private but my powers become unpredictable when I'm stressed or angry and I don't want to burn the entire house down after the encounter with Kaleb yesterday. I draw in a deep breath and get my first, long-awaited hit of tobacco.

Staring out at the orange glow of the sun setting behind the horizon my mind begins to wander as I sit here enjoy the fresh night air and the gentle thumps of Lucas music playing down stairs. I finish off my cigarette, stomping it out on the deck with my foot. Just as I go to grab another one out of the box my thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my bedroom door opening. Thinking it's my mother coming to check on me I quickly grab the pack and my lighter and shove them behind the cushion on my chair. I'm relieved when Felix is the one to walk through my sliding door and sit down in the chair next to me.

"Oh, thank god it's just you." I say with a sigh of relief.

"Yeah, it's just me. I came to see where you had gone. You just disappeared." Felix said sounding a bit concerned.

Deciding that I don't care if Felix knows that I smoke I pull my cigarettes out and light another one up.

"It's nice out here." He comments, before seeing the cigarette in my hand. "Uh, since when do you smoke?" Felix asks, confused as to why he hadn't known this earlier.

"Since Kaleb." I replied making him even more confused.

"Like, ....since yesterday?" Felix cocks his head, clearly puzzled.

"Since I met him." I answer.

"Where do you even get them from? Your not old enough to buy them."

"When I started dating Kaleb me, him and Lexi used to steal smokes from his dad and get them from the older kids at the parties we would go to." I stop to take a drag of my cigarette. "I stopped smoking when we broke up because I had no way to get them and I didn't really feel the need smoke anymore with Kaleb out of my life." I pause to take in a few more puffs before continuing.

"But after yesterday I got stressed and desperately wanted one," I inhale the last of my smoke and stomp out the butt next to the first one. "I gave the hermit guy, Roland, ten dollars to buy a pack for me this morning and here we are. Once I calm down after yesterday I'll hide the rest of the pack back in my draw and hope that I don't have to pull them back out for awhile." I finally finish my long explanation. I'm surprised that Felix didn't have to interrupt I rambled so much.

"Does you mum know?" Felix asks.

"No, so don't tell anyone." I answer, standing up and going back to the pool. Felix following close behind.

------

After the party finished and everyone one went home I finally got a chance to sit down on the lounge and watch a rerun of The Big Bang Theory. Just as the episode finished Mum comes and sits next to me. "Steph, sweetie. Luca has a basketball game out of town next Saturday, I'm going to take him. We're going to be gone all weekend so I thought you might like to invite Felix over, he can stay all weekend so you won't be alone. How does that sound?" Mum asked.

"I'll ask him tomorrow before school." I almost squeal with excitement. My mum actually likes Felix enough to be ok with us being alone together for a whole weekend.

"I'm glad you're excited." Mum says giving me a big hug and a kiss on the forehead. "Now get to bed, it's late. And you have school in the morning."

~~~~~~

This chapter is short and a bit boring but it's a filler because I promised you guys another update as soon as I could and I had no idea what to write.

Love you all,
Steph 😘