Chapter 5: Hell's Heaven At 7-11

Crenshaw, California -- August of 1998

Carter

My moms wanted to go down the street to see one of her homeboys from college

My moms wanted to go down the street to see one of her homeboys from college. His family just moved here. When we got to their crib, I saw them still unpacking a few things from cardboard boxes.

I was kind of shocked that a whole white family chose to move into a nigga neighborhood. It was definitely something different. I knew they had a daughter and a son, but I had only met them like once or twice before. I ain't really know them too well.

My moms went off to talk to her friends and Marcus and I just sat on the couch with their kids. Seeing a white girl with blonde hair definitely was weird. It wasn't something that I was used to seeing around here.

It looked like she kept making glances over at me when she felt I wasn't looking. I was peeping her, though.

Amanda

I hadn't seen Brandi's kids in a long time

I hadn't seen Brandi's kids in a long time. I kind of forgot how they looked, to be honest. One of them kept catching my eye. He was way cuter than I remember. He had the biggest brownest eyes I had ever seen.

God, I hope he doesn't notice me looking at him.

After about an hour of being here, they were finally getting up to leave. I felt the knots forming in my stomach because I wanted to say something to him so badly, but I was so nervous at the same time. I don't look like the average girl from around here. What if I'm not cute to him? What if I look weird?

I bit onto my bottom lip before exhaling a deep breath.

His mom and brother were standing near our front door and I saw that he was getting ready to walk towards them. I had to say something to him before he leaves. I don't know if I'll get another opportunity.

I tapped on his shoulder. He turned to look at me. I swallowed hard.

"Um, it's been so long since I've seen you. I forgot your name," I said.

Carter

Damn. I couldn't help but to stare into her green eyes. I ain't never seen this eye color in person. It suits her well. It was something innocent in them. I kind of liked that.