Chapter 6: The School of Hard Knocks

Amanda

CRACK! The sound of Carter's metal baseball bat swinging across the jaw of his assailant was deafening!

Instantly, the guy dropped to the ground with blood splattering from his mouth. I could have sworn to see a golden cap fly straight off of his teeth onto the ground, but the scene is so chaotic that I can barely pay attention to detail right now!

WACK! WACK! WACK! Carter continued to deliver blow after blow to his fallen body.

As soon as the guy's friends saw that Carter had just dropped their friend, they instantly stepped in. It's this gang mentality that makes them think it's 'cool' to jump on someone, even if that person much younger than you. It's pitiful.

The moment all three of those older guys ganged up on Carter, I began to panic! One of them grabbed him from behind with his arms bound as another one stood in front of him before balling a fist and delivering an intense uppercut to his abdomen, instantly knocking the wind from him! 

Oh no! I can't watch this shit! Someone has to do something! 

"Help! Somebody, please help!!" I began yelling at the top of my lungs.

"Man, somebody shut that bitch up!" I heard one of the guys yell.

I instantly began backing up the moment I saw one of the tall, dark skinned guys begin walking towards me with his fists balled up, his muscles bulging from his arms, and his lips snarled. No doubt, he would be the one to 'shut me up.'

My heart began skipping beats. I panicked! 

"Leave me alone! Stay away from me!" I yelled at him from a short distance as I continued to back up.

Just then, I noticed the guy with the fade in his brown hair walked outside of the 7-11 store and stood between me and the guy walking towards me. Fearlessly, the boy raised his shirt, obviously exposing some kind of weapon.

"Yo' back the fuck up, bro!" he said, walking towards the guy, fearlessly.

Immediately, the boy who was so 'tough, big, and bad' yielded to this other guy who looked no older than our age! I was just grateful that this guy decided to actually intervene on my behalf and save me from oncoming danger!

He drew his handgun from his jeans and pointed it towards the guy who tried to hurt me. In fear, the guy's hands went straight up and he actually got a taste of his own medicine as he began to back up in fear.

I felt totally vindicated...

"Ay! Lil' nigga! Be easy!" he said.

All of the other guys sensed the commotion and let Carter go only to turn their attention to the gun being drawn on them.

"Ay! We ain't got no problems over here! I'd advise y'all to get the fuck on 'cuz I got a cap fully loaded for each and every one of you pussy niggas!" the guy said fearlessly.

"Ay, be easy wit' that shit, nigga!" one of the other boys said.

I was shocked that the guys actually took heed of the gun and began to retreat, leaving Carter alone! 

Carter began to straighten his clothes out, although I could tell one of his sleeves had been ripped in the altercation. He continued to hold onto his metal bat, never loosening his grip.

I heard the guy with the high top fade chuckle as he walked over towards Carter. 

"Ay, Caveman, you good?" 

Carter looked up at the guy, "What 'chu call me?" 

The guy nodded his head towards the bat planted in his hand. "Caveman," he chuckled.