Chapter 7: Live It How You Get It

Carter

"Here you go, mama," I said, squirting the grape flavored fever reducer in Tiara's mouth

"What made her sick?" Marcus asked.

"I don't know. I mean, it's November. Everybody usually get sick around this time of year. I guess it's the weather change."

I watched as my baby sister sneezed one more time. My heart hurt to see her suffer. She doesn't even know what's going on in her little mind.

As her big brother, it's my job to make sure she's taken care of -- even if it comes with the costs. Stealing? Nah. Not me. I ain't a savage. But when it comes to my family, especially my baby sister, I'm willing to throw my life away for it.

I was just happy that T would be feeling better in a few minutes after the medicine kicks in.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

"Yo, what the fuck was that?!" Marcus asked.

"Ion know. Sound like somebody at da' door," I replied, suspicion in my voice.

BAM! BAM! BAM! Three more knocks came to the door.

"Stay wit' T, bro," I said to Marcus.

I walked out into the hallway of the house. I knew the noise was coming from the door and I think I got an idea of who it is.

"Open up! This is the police!" I heard a loud voice from the other side of the door.

"Fuck!" I said in frustration.

I opened the door and faced the two cops that were standing before me.

"Wassup?" I asked.

One of them grabbed me and began cuffing metal rings around my wrists. 

"Damn!" I yelled. "What the fuck?!"

I was already irritated that this shit caught up with me, so having somebody grab onto me pissed me off more.

"Carter Jackson, you are under arrest for theft," he said.

I heard him begin reciting me my rights and shit, but all that got tuned out with the thoughts running through my head. 

Then, Marcus' voice came through from the back.

"Carter, what the fuck is goin' on!" he yelled.

"Yo' bruh, I can't explain now! Stay wit' T!" I yelled back as the cop began dragging me over the threshold of the house.

I was escorted to a squad car that was lit up with bright blue lights. They threw me in the backseat. 

"Carter!!" I heard a familiar voice call out to me.

I turned my head and saw Amanda running down the sidewalk. She lived on my block, just further down. I hate that she saw this shit.

"What happened?!" she yelled, tears filling her eyes.