Chapter One

Chapter One

“I love you. Take care,” that’s my tear strained mother bidding me farewell as I drove off. Actually, she’s my stepmom. My real mother disappeared two weeks after I was born. And now, there in my rearview mirror are the images of my stepmom Suzanne; who treated me as her own daughter, the servants and that ridiculously big house.

As I drove off, I saw my whole life pass me by. I’ve lived in that city for almost my entire life, and now I’m moving out and starting anew at a five-hour-drive town called ‘Dark Falls’. It’s where my parents met before they had me, and I’m going to spend the rest of my college life there.

Dad tried to stop me from going back there for some reason he wouldn’t tell me. But he knew that once I’ve decided to do something, there is no stopping me. Even if I’m a daddy’s girl, my own father won’t be able to stop me.

And that is why I conveniently left before he comes back from his business trip. Do I feel guilty? Maybe. Okay, a bit. But there’s no turning back now.

“Welcome to Dark Falls,” is what the giant wooden sign on the town border says. Well, Dark Falls here comes Alice Ravenswood and you better have the answer to my mother’s strange disappearance. I drove around town first; my house can wait. And besides, shouldn’t I be celebrating right now? After all, I am officially a college student, and I just got a new house and car.

Good thing this town is small, I can easily spot the places to be. I found a pub called ‘Dark Lounge’ which should do, rather than that cursed club two blocks away. It’s too noisy for my taste.

As soon as I parked, everyone kept staring at me.

And there goes the bad thing about this town; everybody knows everybody. So obviously, they’re staring at me coz I’m the new kid in town.

I ignored them just like I usually do when people pay attention to me. I made my way towards the mini bar and ordered a cocktail. As I look around, some are still ogling me; creepy.

“You’re new here, aren’t you?” someone suddenly spoke to my left which made me jump, since I didn’t thought that someone would actually have the courage to speak to me. “Yeah, and you scared the shit out of me,” I said; perfectly annoyed. As I glared at him, I realized how gorgeous he is with or without the cheeky smile that he’s throwing at me right now. “I’m sorry. Let me buy you a drink.” Damn, his dark hair and gray eyes just makes him more godlike. “Isn’t it too early for alcohol?” I raised a brow at him as he gestured the bartender to give him two drinks.

“Why? Do you have a curfew?” he mused as he sips on his beer. I narrowed my eyes at him. “Besides, it’s already past 7pm missy. Happy hour started an hour ago,” he winked and raised his glass to me. “Is this how you work?” I teased and raised an eyebrow. He looked at me with confusion. “You spot the new girl in the crowd, and then you buy her a drink. Coz I must say, I’m not impressed…at all,” this time I was the one who winked and raised my glass at him. He chuckled and shook his head. “I’m also like you, I’m new here too; or at least new again. Since I lived here once, and I’ll have you know that that’s not how I work,” he gave me a teasing smile as he gulps down his beer. “What’s your game then?” I looked at him with scrutinizing eyes and he only chuckled. “Since you already judged me, I’m not gonna tell you,” he teased and I pursed my lips in disappointment. “Besides, you don’t like someone who’s easy anyway,” he smiled at me and I looked away to hide the smile forming on my lips and hid it by clearing my throat. “I’ll take that as a compliment,” I raised my glass at him.

“By the way, I’m Heath Mikaelson. And you are?” he smiled at me with great anticipation and it feels so right to turn him down, so I gulped down the remaining cocktail from my glass and stood up. “Leaving,” I winked at him before I turned my back to him. “Thanks for the drink, Heath. Although I didn’t even took a sip at it.” I heard him chuckling with that deep sexy voice of his as he watched me go. “I’ll see you around, new girl,” he loudly said to my retreating figure. “No, you won’t.”

I drove towards the secluded part of the town where I have to pass by the forest first, because that’s where my new house is. Well, sort of new; at least to me. It’s a big ass house, even bigger than my old home and it happens to be my father’s ancestral house which he restored, in order for me to be comfortable living in it. It’s his graduation gift to me, along with my awesome car.

I went inside and saw how really big and creepy it is. the first thing that caught my eye were the portraits that were hang in the walls of the living room and corridors of this house. They were the portraits of my ancestors. As I continued to look at the portraits, I spotted the one that I loved the most.

It was my parents wedding portrait.

I’ve never seen this portrait before. We don’t have it back home since dad said that he doesn’t want any more reminders. I’m pretty sure that it’s their wedding photo since dad is wearing a white tux in his late 20’s; with his arm around the red haired bombshell that I think is my mom. I never had a photo of my mother and I don’t know what she looks like. But looking at her hair color which is similar to mine, I’m guessing that’s my mother.

Dad is a one lucky bastard.

“She’s very beautiful.” That wasn’t me and that almost made me faint. Wasn’t it enough that the house is already big and creepy that someone had to sneak up on me and startle me to death?!

“My god, Lilia!” I yelled as I clutched my chest; afraid that my heart would fall down to my stomach. She giggled. “I’m sorry Alice. But you have to admit, it wasn’t my fault that you weren’t paying attention,” she beamed at me and I just shook my head and sighed. Lilia is my house keeper now; she used to be my personal maid when I was a child. Like Suzanne, she treated me like a daughter and I loved her like she’s my mother.

“Go change your clothes now, and come back down here. We’ll have dinner when you’re done,” she sweetly said. “I’m already tired,” I whined as I marched my way upstairs. “You reek of cocktail, Alice. Come down and eat dinner; or I’ll make you,” such a sweet voice for scary words.

Yeah, I’m scared of her. You would be too, if you see how she gets when she’s mad. That’s why I don’t dare oppose her.

“Be there in a minute,” I run towards my room as if life depended on it.