Chapter Seven

“What are you doing here?” I was drunk last night and passed out. So when I woke up with a splitting headache, I went downstairs for a pill only to find my father sitting on the sofa, reading a newspaper and drinking coffee.

“Good morning sweetheart!” he smiled at me; obviously he doesn’t get the annoyance that I’m trying to project. Usually, I would immediately run to him and kiss him on the cheek. But after what happened yesterday, he’s the last person I’d want to see.

I ignored him and headed to the kitchen for the first aid kit. I didn’t want to deal with him right, but he did follow me to the kitchen.

“Where’s Lilia?” I asked him as I swallowed the pill. “Grocery shopping,” he seriously needs to stop smiling right now. “Why are you here?” I glared at him and he sighed. “A little birdie said that we need to talk some things over,” he gave me a sad look, while I wonder who’s that little birdie that needs to be shot out of the sky.

“Yeah, let’s start with...why didn’t you tell me everything that I had to know? Even when you already knew that I was going here. it would’ve been helpful to at least know that I’m half angel and half demon! I even thought I was normal for Pete’s sake!” I yelled at him. Reid may have a point about my parents keeping me safe; but seeing my father now just makes me boil with anger.

“Let’s do this when you’ve calmed down, Alice. Sit down and I’ll cook you something,” I would’ve protested to that if not for my stomach suddenly grumbling. A bit embarrassing. Since I’m supposed to be angry and protesting.

“Fine,” I just said then sat down and waited for him to finish cooking my favorite breakfast.

After we finished eating, I looked at him with scrutinizing eyes.

“I’m guessing you’re waiting for me to tell you the truth,” I nodded.

“First off, I was going to tell you things before you come here. But I was surprised when I came home and Suzanne said that you already left,” well, that one’s on me. I purposely left when he was gone. “Oh, so that’s why you wanted me to wait for you.” He gave me a look and I nervously smiled.

“Anyway, I didn’t told you those things before because I didn’t thought you’d want to come here. I wanted you to never know about any of it coz I was trying my best to protect you. And before your mom left, she told me to keep you safe and never let you to come back here. now I’ve disappointed both you and your mother,” damn, dad looks really sad and pitiful.

“Dad, do you mind telling the story from the start? It’s kinda irritating if you tell it that way; it’s confusing me,” he looked apologetic.

“It all started a long time ago in this town. The Ravenswood are actually a family of Paladins who helped built this town. That’s why we are part of the founding families. This town is protected by us and the other families. Anyways, Paladins are angels. More like soldiers of heaven, only we are Earth’s division and we keep this town safe from demons.

Three hundred years later, there was me and your grandpa. I was just a little older than you are now. We were hunting a large group of demons in the forest of Dark Falls. But we were unprepared by their skills and got ambushed. That’s how your grandfather died. I was supposed to die there too, but luck was on my side and there came a woman who saved my life.

She was a lot stronger than all of them combined and she led me away from the forest.

When she finally looked at me, I saw how beautiful she was. In all my 24 years of living she was incomparable to anyone, not even to queens of other countries. And her strength amazed me. She still does.