Chapter Four

My heart had lost all of its momentum as my eyes focused on the man sitting on the desk, he was smoking a cigar while sitting there. His hair was now a faded black with some grays and whites, but I could have sworn that he had pure black hair the last time I had saw him. 

"Emma Summer Carter." He stated while letting all the tobacco out of his mouth. 

"Mr. Lozano..." I mumbled. 

"What? Did you forget that I was one of the detectives at this department? Or are you just plain stupid?" He questioned. 

"I uh..Um I am pretty sure you are not allowed to smoke in the building." I replied while swallowing the saliva that remained in my mouth. 

"You know what Emma? I don't give a living fuck about what you want to say or how you feel so I will smoke in here all I want. You could drop down on the floor with a horrible asthma attack and I still wouldn't help you. And do you want to know why?" While he gave out his small speech he gradually made is way across the office in front of my face. He looked down at me with anger and pain before blowing the tobacco into my face. 

"Why?" I coughed. 

"Because you are the definition of complete disappointment." He smiled then threw the little stub of the cigar down at my feet before stepping on it which also meant stepping on my own feet. 

"Ow! What is your problem? And why are you smoking? Last time I checked you were completely against smoking!" I quickly moved back and ignored the pain coming from my feet. 

Come on Emma, don't be a bitch now. You have taken far worse pain so a little foot stomp is nothing compared to what you have gone through. Grow up. 

"What is my problem?! Are you serious right now? You! You are the problem! Where is my god damn daughter Emma?!" He screamed in my face while reaching for my sweatshirt, grabbing a fist full of my jacket and not only throwing me against the wall, but lifting me a few inches above the ground. 

"I don't remember anything! Why doesn't anyone believe me?!" I started to cry while moving my legs around trying to get free from his fists. 

"Nobody believes you because you are a stone cold manipulator. A little smart valedictorian on the outside, but on the inside? A murderer. You lie to me one more time and you will wish you had taken Bella's place." I nodded continuously while freaking out on the inside. "USE WORDS GOD DAMMIT!" He yelled. 

"Okay! OK! I will tell you everything! Just please let me go! Let me go!" My mind froze. I was in complete panic attack mode. 

"You are a whore. Who allowed you to grow your hair out that long Jennifer? Was it that man I always see you with? I always knew you were hiding something." The unidentified man grabbed a hold of my dress and raised me up from the ground. I could see his grip loosening and that was when my heart literally stopped. He quickly released my dress and placed his hands around my neck instead. I continued to hit him repeatedly hoping he would let go, but he never did. The seconds felt like hours. 

He released my sweatshirt and straightened out his suit. The detective then moved away from the wall and walked back over to the desk. I looked down at my sweatshirt and tried to calm myself down from what had just happened. What was that vision I just saw? I looked up from my sweatshirt and noticed he was staring directly at me which made my heart race, but at the same time freeze. I don't know how to explain this current feeling I have. 

"Well?" He stated. 

"What?" I mumbled. 

"Are you going to sit down?" He questioned while gesturing to the chair that was at the desk.  I looked from his eyes down to the floor then back at the chair he was gesturing to and gradually made my way there. "Could you move any slower Emma?" He asked sarcastically. I ignored his remark and took my seat there. Rather than him sitting down as well he stayed where he was which was sitting on the desk with one leg on top and with the other leg holding balance at the ground. Half sitting and half standing. 

"You ask me to sit down and yet you can't even do the same." I stated while staring down at the burnt off fingerprints. 

"Haven't you realized that you have no right to talk right now? You are a nobody in this small world. You are nothing, but a criminal. Right now I am the boss of you. Yeah sure during the summer you had all the freedom you wanted; which led to the murdering of those innocent girls including my daughter. But right now? I am in charge of you. Whatever I do or say you will not question, because I know how to do my job so don't try to act as if I am the wrong one here. You are." He spoke while looking down at me. I could feel his stare directly on me, but I decided to keep my sight on my hands. "Is that clear?" He asked. 

"Crystal." I remarked. He then made a sudden shift which made the desk move. It wasn't until a few seconds later I found out why. 

"Good Morning Mrs. Carter! How are you doing this morning?" He greeted my mom. 

"I am doing all right. How about you Detective?" She responded. 

"Oh please, Derek." I could hear my mom's footsteps coming towards us. I looked up from my hands and saw that the two of them were shaking hands.

"Have I missed anything so far?" She asked while letting go of his huge hands compared to hers. 

"Nope not at all. Where's Mr. Carter?" He continued to make small talk which bothered me, especially the fact that he had the nerve to bring up my dad. My mom froze in place. I could almost feel the emotion my mom was having although I couldn't identify what exactly it was. Her eyes went from fully aware to somehow just a blank stare with a glazed film over her eyes. It had only been a few seconds and yet it feels like years. 

"He passed away a month after she had gone missing." My mom stated in a low mumble so low I could compare the noise to the hum of a humming bird.