Chapter Three

"All rise," the head of the Military Police says. He was standing next to the Queen, who sat ever so gracefully in her simple throne. All of the soldiers rose.

This meeting was for higher ups only. Levi thinks of the grumbling girl outside, arms crossed over her tiny body in protest, probably mumbling that "she was a higher up now, she should get to sit in on important meetings". The ravenette stood from his chair, exhaling a long sigh and adjusting his jacket as he looked to the dainty blonde on the stage.

"Excuse me, everyone," she says, rising from her chair. Everyone falls silent. The kind Queen's eyes were narrowed in determination. Her outer shell was hardening as every leader's would in times of crisis. "You all know why I have gathered you. The Colossal Titan and Armored Titan have returned to our Walls, after many years of peace. It pains me to say," she tenses, fists balling up by her sides. "They've reclaimed the Female Titan. Reports say that they've freed her of her chrysalis."

Gasps make their way around the room. Many have not heard of the rescue of Annie Leonhart. Whispers break out all over them, causing Levi to hang his head in frustration. After all this peace, there's no surprise that some shit has finally happened, he thinks to himself.

"They're horrible creatures and their plan is no doubt vile and destructive," she continues, hushing the crowd. Her knuckles were turning white. Her body trembled slightly in anger. "Eren Jaeger is no doubt going to be their target again. We have some insight on their plans from double agent Ymir, who sacrificed herself many years ago to save me. I ask that everyone treats her with the utmost respect as a fellow soldier of the Survey Corps and a friend to me. I owe her a great debt of gratitude."

"All forces are necessary, now more than ever," she continues quietly. Queen Historia pulls at the bracelets on her wrists, undoing the clasp on the silver and letting it fall to her feet. She does the same to the clasp on her small diamond pendant. Levi swallows thickly; this wasn't a good sign. "Ymir," she calls the freckled girl behind her. The tall girl comes behind her, helping her unzip her dress, letting it fall to the floor.

And that's when everyone sees the statement the Queen was trying to make. All forces are necessary, even her. She was wearing her entire uniform, minus her jacket, under the simple blue dress she was wearing. They were all military grade: her boots, her leggings, and even her white tank top. Ymir retrieved a jacket from behind the throne, handing it to the Queen. The small girl adorned her body with the Wings of Freedom blazing on her back. Calmly, she folded her dress, picking up her jewelry, and placed it all on her throne.

"Ymir, please," the blonde looked up to her friend. Ymir was by her side, with her every decision as always. The tall girl handed her an old, rusty boot knife. Ymir had had that knife since she was in the Training Corps. Everyone watched in shock as Queen Historia began to hack at her golden hair, the locks falling to her dirt stained boots.

She hands the knife to Ymir, some of her hair still stuck in its rusted teeth, running her fingers through her unevenly cut locks. Her small hands go to the silver tiara on her head, gently removing it. She places it with her dress and jewelery on her throne, standing proudly.

"From this day forward you shall call me Historia. I am no longer your Queen as long as we are in war. I have failed you as Queen, and for that I will never forgive myself. We must protect our home. I am Historia Reiss of the Survey Corps from here on out. My council will be in charge until I am able to protect my people are return to my position as Queen."

Her fist went to her heart in a soldier's salute. Everyone quickly saluted her, never more proud of her than in that moment.

She was their Queen, and she served them.