Chapter Seventeen

SIX YEARS LATER

Nothing brought a greater smile to her face than seeing the six year old boy in front of her grinning up at her brightly, holding up a scribbled drawing and absolutely beaming.

"Momma, it's you!" he says, eyes round and full of joy. He was holding up a picture of her, messily drawn with coloring outside of the lines. Nora smiled at him, taking a tack and pinning it onto the wall with the rest of his drawings.

He took after his mother, with big hazel eyes and a mop of curly brown hair. His hair was shaved underneath in a neat undercut with the wild curls haphazardly brushed out of his eyes. He was his mother's child, with the same splattering of faint freckles across his nose. His smile was framed with crooked teeth that were just starting to fall out with lips upturned into a giant lopsided grin.

"Thank you, Farlan, it does look like me," she smiles, bending down to give him a hug.

He was a happy child, always drawing and smiling. He clung to his mother like a shadow, following her everywhere she went.

She turned back to the stove, a pot of stew bubbling away. She wasn't the best cook, but she tried her best once she gave birth.

She promised herself that she'd be a better mother than her mother ever was to her.

"Momma, do ya need help?" he asks. She smiles to herself when she feels his presence right behind her. He came up to just about her hip.

"No, thank you. Can you go see if Uncle Jean is here yet?"

The boy nodded before running off. Nora could hear the front door open and the loud voice of her best friend as he bumbled through the front door, calling her name as he stepped in the kitchen.

"Nora, I found this stray out front!" he says, laughing as he holds the struggling girl over his shoulder. When he finally put her down she was frowning, hazel eyes fitted on the floor.

Besides from her eyes, she was basically a carbon copy of her father. Her hair was pin straight and was cut to rest just past her shoulders. It was a pure ebony color, shiny and smooth and accented perfectly with her pale skin. She had the exact same eyes as her mother, a soft green that meshed perfectly with honey accents. Her sparkling eyes were slightly slanted and usually narrowed. She was the same height as her brother, although as he would say, he was just a little bit taller. She had her father's quiet disposition, but like her mother she was kind and never bitter, though it was a rarity to truly see her smile wide.

"Isabel, where were you?" Nora asks, smiling down at the small girl. She was a truly stunning young girl. Her features were almost extinct, with slanted eyes and perfectly straight and shiny black hair that rested gently on pale skin, she was a rarity. Eren had told her once before that she had looked almost exactly like Mikasa had when he first met her.

"I was training," she says quietly. Her voice was soft and flat.

"For what, Izzy?" Farlan asks her, eyes wide and he bumbled over to her side. "I wanna train, too!"

"I was training for me."

The two children were strong. They inherited their unfathomable strength from their father. They were Ackermans, after all. From the moment she had given birth to her twins, she knew that they were different. Neither cried when they were born. Their big hazel eyes found the others, hands touching. They were only minutes old when they smiled at one another, and from that moment on they were virtually inseparable.

"So how far did you run today?" he asks excitedly.

"To Headquarters, and back." She pulled at the ends of her skirt, the smallest of smiles on her face. "Uncle Jean wouldn't let me take another lap and brought me home."