001:

Book Two

Melia leaned up on her elbow, one hand poised to smooth Jared's head as she liked to do, feeling the warmth, feeling the vitality, checking and reassuring herself. She remained that way as he looked at Hannah, his eyes blinked once and then remained open, staring, but not moving. He usually sensed her scrutiny and would look at her as well. She heard the last breath, and she stared, willing him to take another.

He didn't.

And still he didn't.

Hannah wiggled. A second passed, and Melia's hand slowly dropped to his face and smoothed his head as she had been about to do, but this time, she knew... oh yes, she knew. She felt a weird rushing feeling inside, as if the wind that carried his soul to heaven was including her for part of the trip.

Hannah must have sensed it too, she began to cry.

Melia shuddered. She couldn't take her eyes off his face. She pulled her own hair that had fallen back behind her ears and listened to Hannah's wails get eerily stronger, the strongest Hannah had ever had to cry. Her daddy was always there to comfort her.

And now she knew too.

Melia pulled herself up to a sitting position and leaned over Jared to the nightstand where her camera lay. Document this, she thought vaguely. Maybe for her later... she snapped a picture of Hannah, looked at the clock, it was just after midnight. Replaced the camera on the nightstand and picked up her cell phone.

"Mommy?" She said not quietly, finally loosening Jared's hold on his crying daughter, and pulling her up into her arms, sitting a little away now, and pulling up her T-shirt she let Hannah latch on. She suckled eagerly, her eyes squeezed tightly shut.

"Was that Hannah?" Came Tracy's voice, awake as always. Did her mother ever sleep?

"Yeah." Melia sighed. "Jared's gone. I can feel it. He...." And then she looked back at his very peaceful face with his eyes open and remembered she would want to close his eyes. She did, they didn't want to close and she had to actually push them closed, and when she did, her throat choked up and she turned away, not crying, holding on.

She could hear the footsteps running up the stairs. She put the phone down and held her baby, and sat next to the body of her dead husband, and didn't cry.

*********