092:

092:

Robert found a local frequency, one used by fishermen and those monitoring tourist yachts for possible theft. There were smaller pirates in these waters, those who simply preyed on the unsuspecting, their motives resale of the yacht, ransom... sometimes... or not. It was dangerous, but....

He pressed the button on the ham microphone, closed his eyes and prayed to whatever God Melia believed in that this--- Hugh's answer--- Jared's answer--- was the right answer. He held it down a second... and then identified himself. He knew he'd already been scouted. They would know where he was, and what he was... now they'd know who he was.

"I'm in trouble here, request help from local ship yard maintenance." Gave his coordinates and requested help again. How long would it take? He sat in the sticky leather captain's seat as his actual captain came yawning up the stairs.

"What the hell are you doing? What maintenance problem?" Billy thundered in his customary growly voice, as he scanned the complicated computer boards for signs of malfunction.

Robert used his hand to indicate shutting up and gave him a meaningful stare. Billy's expression was incredulous as he flipped him off. First mate Jim Crystal joined them, even louder and even bigger than his captain.

"What did you just do and why did you do it, idiot!" Jim yelled, staring out the upper windows at the pristinely clear skyline and the sudden movement of life on the horizon. He glanced out of the binoculars at the closest vessel already turning to come to their "aid", and then gave Robert a frank assessing.

"Why would you mess with pirates?" He flopped into the only other seat and rested both hands on the sides of his head as if controlling his raging headache. Beneath him, a grumbling began as Billy retrieved an automatic assault rifle and threw it to Jim.

Robert's eyes took on a gleam as he caught his own version of this weapon and he examined it carefully. "You boys ever use one of these in real life?"

"Many a day, Robert, you hired us for just this reason, but you didn't say we'd be incurring the attention of the pirates ourselves. Why the hell would you want to do that? You just sent out an invitation to lunch to the sharks! He jerked his head in the direction of the closest boat now making white water as it flew to their aid.

"In a nutshell, I need them." Robert said matter-of-factly.

"What the hell for?" Billy thundered some more giving him another look meant to quell his stupidity. Jim was standing now, eyeing the progress of the other boat.

There was the slapping sound of bare feet on the rubber turf stairs and Rory's head came into view. "Why is that pirate boat you told us about yesterday bearing down on us?" He yelled in panic, one flopping hand pointing in the general direction that Jim was staring. Rory grabbed Jim's binoculars, and Robert thought there might be war right there, but Jim simply reached around him and grabbed another pair off the wall. Robert kept his back to the approaching vessel nonchalantly.

"Gentlemen." He said, leaning easily against the control panel with one careful hip as all three men stared avidly at the quickly approaching menace.

Finally, Rory gave him a modicum of attention so he went on. "A young woman, an American actress and her two very young daughters have been abducted, and are being taken to Cartagena. They will be traveling by boat in about five hours. They will be traveling in these waters. Their destination is too dangerous to extract them easily so I want to make sure that they never reach that destination, but make it to this boat safely. For that, I need some local help."

"Why not alert the actual authorities?" Billy said without looking at him, his voice a disgusted sneer.

"To deal with pirates, I thought I'd use pirates." Robert smiled sagely and cocked his gun. All three men's eyes turned to him warily and then matching grins came over their faces.

"Gentlemen, meet my friend Hugh." He held up his phone screen and watched their faces as the silhouette of Batman appeared. All eyes widened. Robert had their attention now. "Boys, in case you were wondering. I'm Batman."

Billy's face had a genuine look of astonished disbelief.

"You're off your damn rocker!"

Robert lifted one eyebrow and then nodded succinctly. "You can be another super hero if you want, but Hugh will outline the plan. He's like---- Alfred."

"I'm Robin!" Rory shouted and pumped his fist into the air, then lowered it as Billy and Jim turned to stare at him with their eyes popping.

"You're the boss, boss." Jim said quickly and Robert leaned in closer to detail out his plan.

*****