Chapter 2 - Through The Years

Hey guys, I will do my best to make this story a more regular update. I am so sorry about the delays on all my other stuff, but I have a lot on my plate along with writer's block, so I will do my best to at least keep up on this one. Hope you like it!

That was the first day in a series of days that became weeks, then months, and then years for Darcy at her new home. Kurt and Logan took her to the Institute, and she fit right in, becoming an X-man by her second year. She was placed as Rogue's roommate, much to everyone's surprise and worry. But Rogue actually took a liking to Darcy, laughing and joking with her when Darcy wasn't hanging out with Kurt, who became the closest person to her.

Still, the others worried. What if Rogue and Darcy accidentally bumped into each other and one got hurt? It turned out that there was no cause to worry.

One night, Rogue had a nightmare, remembering the people she had accidentally hurt with her powers, calling out loud enough for most of the Institute to hear. Darcy woke up first and saw her friend thrashing around in her sleep. It had been six months since she came to the Institute, and she was still a light sleeper, unused to the new place.

She got up quickly from her bed, and made her way to Rogue's. Her worry only grew as the other girl continued to thrash and scream, becoming more violent. Darcy placed a hand on the girl's bare shoulder instantly, shaking her as she called to her.

"Marie! Wake up!" Rogue shot up, eyes snapping open as she began to shake. She focused on Darcy as she attempted to calm her down. "Hey, you're okay. We're at the Institute. Everything's fine." Rogue broke down in tears, and Darcy pulled her into a hug, holding her friend close and speaking softly to her. Logan, Kurt, and their other friends burst in, only to be relieved that both girls were alright. Darcy gestured for them to leave, and they did so. Kurt was the last to leave, and the only one to notice that Rogue's skin wasn't completely covered. He gave Darcy a look, and she shook her head. The two could communicate without speaking, or using the mental link that Darcy had set up between them, as she had with Rogue. He nodded, knowing she would explain later, and left her to calm Rogue.

Rogue had finally begun to calm down, when she realized that Darcy was hugging her. She quickly pulled away and curled against the wall her bed was pushed to, afraid that she had hurt her best friend. Then, she felt a hand on her arm, and Darcy's voice, and she froze, looking up.

"Marie." Darcy said softly. "I'm fine. We both are. No one got hurt." Rogue stared at her in shock and disbelief.

"How..." she trailed off.

"I have no idea." Darcy replied. "But I'm definitely glad about it." They laughed, and Rogue held onto Darcy as though she would disappear any second.

After that, the two girls were unstoppable, especially with Kurt at their side, and the three became the power behind the X-men. Darcy collected a lot of mutations and other skills through the years, and kept them stored inside of her, allowing her to transfer any ability to Rogue and continue fighting as Kurt teleported wherever he was needed. It was, thankfully, not a third-wheel situation, though Kurt and Darcy did get together about a year after she arrived. Kurt and Rogue had their own platonic relationship anyway, teasing each other like siblings. Everyone had a bet on when Kurt and Darcy would get together and, of course, Rogue won. She knew the two best after all.

Kurt and Darcy sat on the roof, having teleported to get there faster and without disturbing anyone. Rogue had gone to bed early, as she had a physics test the next day. The two just sat there, looking at the night sky. Well, she was looking at the stars. He was glancing between her and his hands repeatedly, unsure how to ask his question, or if he really wanted an answer. Suddenly, Darcy spoke, nearly scaring him off the roof.