Chapter 7 - Party Time

Hey cupcakes! Sorry for the wait on the update, I didn't have time to type all this up with finals week and everything. But, I'm back! And it's Christmas Break so I should be more frequent on updates. Hope y'all like it!

       After a few hours, the girls were ready, waiting for a cab. The two had done their hair up in curls and waves, and makeup that brought out the best features. They got in as soon as the cab pulled up, told the driver where to go, and they took off.

     Across town, Johnny, Ben, and Reed waited outside a large building, waiting for Susan and Darcy's arrival. As they watched, lines of limos pulled up, let out passengers, and pulled away again. Then, a taxi pulled up. From one side, Sue got out, while Darcy remained inside the vehicle, and Reed walked up to her.

    "Sue, you look fantastic!" She grinned, giving him a quick kiss.

   "Thanks! But you haven't seen Darcy yet. She's paying the driver." Johnny jugged to the back door of the cab, opening it before Darcy got to it herself, and allowing her to step out easily. Ben stared at her. His little girl wasn't so little anymore, she was a grown woman, and he was proud of her of course. He glared at the young men who were staring at her. Johnny offered an arm to her, causing her to laugh and take it, escorting her to the others, and attempting to get his niece away from the stares.

   "You look great, kiddo." Ben said, causing her grin to widen.

  "Thanks, dad." Ben smiled to himself. It was the first time she had called him that in a positive way. It wasn't much, but it was progress. They walked inside, and began to mingle slightly with the other guests. Suddenly, a loud voice came from behind them.

   "Darcy!" The others turned in surprise, but Darcy knew that voice anywhere.

  "Hank?" she exclaimed. The other four snapped their attention to her in confusion. She knew this man? "What are you doing here?" The man and Darcy laughed, hugging each other, and causing Ben to stiffen, even though the man was easily his age.

  "I am a scientist, Darcy. I used to work for the military, and they really didn't need to know about my furry little problem. What are you doing here? Kurt said you found your family, and Rogue said you had better call her soon." Darcy laughed again.

   "Yeah, I did. My aunt and uncle are scientists, and we were all invited. How did Rogue know you'd find me?"

    "She said you might be here. I guess she did her homework. For once, that is. Kurt called, of course."

   "Yeah, he did. And I'll call Rogue as soon as I get a chance." She turned her head, suddenly remembering that the others were there. "Oh, yeah. Hank, this is my family. My Aunt Susan, Uncle Reed, Uncle Johnny, and my dad, Ben Grimm. Guys, this is Hank. He was one of my teachers, and is now a co-worker." Hank shook all their hands.

  "Well, I put on my best suit for this." He and Darcy chuckled at that, like it was a joke. Well, it sort of was. Hank only used the serum he had created years ago for things like this, where being seen as a mutant would hinder him instead of help as it usually did. Hey, the party was being held by the MRD. Neither was very comfortable about it, not at all. NO one could tell by looking at them, but both were on edge, ready to run if there was a sentinel attack, or if someone recognized either of them. 

   Thankfully, the night continued with little trouble. The most uncomfortable moment, was when they all met one of the MRD's biggest supporters, who had funded the sentinels: Senator Kelly. He wasn't an unpleasant man really, even quite charming and kind, but Darcy and Hank couldn't help but dislike him. Partially because of how uncomfortable he seemed when shaking Ben's hand, and partially because of what he did. He funded the creation of the machines they lived in terror of because of what their kind had the ability to do, jumping to the worst conclusion possible. But, he did nothing, only saying goodnight, and allowing his assistant to give them complementary pens as they disappeared. Darcy immediately handed the silly thing off to Johnny, and Hank whispered to her that he would throw his away once he left, just in case. Both knew it was impossible to be too careful when mutants and the MRD were involved.

   Hours later, they parted ways, and headed home. They slipped into pajamas and sat in the living room. Darcy was thankful to be out of that place. She had been tense throughout the entire thing, just waiting for the MRD to come down on her and Hank with a surprise attack. Her past with the MRD was not pleasant, having been their prisoner before. The others dismissed the changing her attitude, thinking she was simply warmer and more comfortable around them.

   Unfortunately, they would soon learn just how wrong they were.