Chapter 1

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

Chapter 1

Keel's POV

I'm tired, I'm so damn tired of every little thing. I just don't want to be here anymore dealing with the same, stupid attitudes. All I want is for her to love me, to want to be my life bond but I get nothing but angst from her. I just can't deal with this anymore.

Standing in the darkness of the between worlds, a tear escaped my eye. She could be so cruel, so heartless and nasty. Why does she enjoy torturing me so much? All I've ever done is show her how much I want her, how much I love her.

She just keeps up with her flirting ways, arguing that no elemental has ever had a life bond. That's something she's been telling me since we were about ten. She is mine though. I know it now as much as I did then.

I sucked in a breath as everything around me brightened. My Mum hated seeing me distressed and I refused to keep going over the same things. Rayne was never going to change or accept me as her life bond. I've known that for a long time but I kept telling myself that things would change. Today was when I accepted it as truth.

The gong went off and I stepped out into my home, that included the Gate. I wondered if maybe I should go and start searching for my Hanirian. At least they would want to know me.

"Hello Keel." Mums welcoming voice washed over me and I forced a smile.

"Hi Mum." I said as upbeat as I could manage but her face fell straight away.

"What happened today?" She sighed, making me grimace.

"Same old really. I think I need to go back to earth school." I stated as Dad walked into the room.

"Keel, how was school?" He asked me even though I'm sure he had heard our conversation. He glanced at me before looking at Mum and smiling.

"Fine. I need to leave before she gets here." I muttered the end remark.

Rayne was staying at her mum's holiday place on this side of the Gate. Normally I waited for her, wanting to just see her face one more time. Today though, I'd had enough. She had spent the whole day on a flirting rampage and I was done. If she didn't want me then I refused to want her anymore.

"Keel wait." Dad's voice filled with concern, had me turning back to him.

Envy knifed through me as I saw my parents cuddled in each other's arms. Was it too much to want this for myself? I looked away to the Gate that began to flex, announcing the arrival of someone. I just couldn't be here when she turned up this time.

"What Dad?" I snapped the words, using my days frustration in one sentence.

"She will come around." Dad soothed with sympathy in his eyes.

"No she won't! I have to accept the inevitable. She's an elemental, a freaking, frisky water one at that. What has a wolf ever got to do with a mermaid?" I shouted as I tossed my hands into the air.