Laced Silk

"And don't forget to bring your posters. Posters. Posters. Posters." Mrs. B, the theatre director urges, "You're all dismissed. Oh, Adrianna, the costumes are here."

Probably way too excited, I scurry through the people running around the stage, "yes!"

"Ok," she says about to hand me the bag of clothes, but she snatches them back before they get to my hands, "Well, there's a catch."

"What?" I eagerly stare at the black bodysuit bags.

"Braden and James aren't allowed to be in the play,"

"What?Why? We need them."

"I know! But their parents said No, and I can't argue that."

"So what do we do now?" I sadly drop my hands to my sides.

"I am not going to let my first play fail," she says smirking. She just got hired, after Mrs. Tasian retired, "My nephew, he's a student here and he's been in previous plays with me before, so I talked to him. He could fill in for Aladdin."

"Ok," I  say blandly, Mrs.Tasian would've never had this happen- she definitely wouldn't have casted brothers for this big of a role in a play.

"Here,"  she hands me the costume. I take it into the dressing room. After fitting into the costume,I pull the curtain, looking in the mirror, I start to undress. The costume looks exactly like the Disney movie version with silky sky blue lace.I slip into my pants, trying not to fall. As I reach for the top, the curtain swings open.

I gasp in shock and cover my chest with my arms, "HEY!!!" 

In front of me completely shocked was Kole- "THE" KOLE! After a moment of awkward eye to eye contact, he covered his eyes, "Oh! God! My- My aunt told me to come down here and get dressed. I should've knocked."

"Knocked on what?" I ask completely ignoring the situation and letting my sarcasm get the best of me. I walk forwards, toward him- still covering his eyes- I push him backwards and pull the curtains closed.

"Right," He says- I imagine he's probably putting a hand on his forehead, like he does when he's embarrassed, "Right."

I quickly throw on my top and gather my things, stuffing it into my black bodysuit bag.

"I'm so embarr-" he started but I cut him off by opening the gray curtains and scurrying off without a word, "WAIT! I'm sor-"" He called but I was far gone by then. I basically run to my silver prius. 

I sit in the car throwing my bag in the passenger's seat. I start the ignition and drive home. Walking into the house, I see Nellie sitting on my couch.

"Adri!" she beams. I place my keys on the glass table  beside the front door. 

"It's about time," Yessica walked into the living room with a bottle of water.

"What are you doing here?" I say surprised, trying to hide embarrassment from what just happened. I don't want to talk about it- especially not with his girlfriend and my best friend.

"Well, you weren't answering your phone," Yessica plopped on the couch. 

" So we just came-" Nellie smiled, grabbing some skittles from the giant center piece bowl that my mom filled with skittles.

"-We were worried about you too." Yessica lightly elbowed Nellie. I felt around my pockets. My PHONE!!! I must've left it in the dressing room. 10 minutes later I was in the same dressing room looking under the chair for my phone. There was no sign of it or Kole. 

"Great," I sarcastically comment to myself. How am I going to get my phone back?  I trudge back to my car, where the girls sit taking selfies. I didn't want to tell Nellie about Kole because I didn't want her to feel awkward around me and, or, him. I, also, didn't want her to know that I ran from him because I was nervous, or him to think I was a snitch. Aside from that one exchange of words that I said, that was the longest conversation with Kole that I've ever had. I sat in the car shaking my head.

"Maybe the janitors came and got it. Did you try calling it to see if they will answer it?" Yessica said optimistically. 

"It's off." I sigh, regretting turning it off for rehearsal.

"- it'll turn up, Adri. But to keep your mind off of it, the party Tonight....." Nellie rubs my shoulder in a maternal way.

"No! No! And in case you don't understand English, Non!-french," I argue starting the ignition and putting on my seatbelt. I sigh, "Nellie it's Friday all the stores will be packed and I don't have anything to wear."

"I got you!" Yessica pulsed getting so excited. I turn to Nellie.

"And what about this?" I pump my hair up with both my hands but there's really no point I've been out voted.

"Drive. To my house." Nellie points in the direction of her house.

"Woooooooo!" Yessica screams! I roll my eyes and start to drive.

Nellie's Victorian manor beats my miniature family home any day. As we pull into the driveway, I can't help but think about what Kole could be doing with my phone. What if he goes through my messages? What if he goes through my pictures- I have really ugly selfies in there. Oh My God! Maybe I do need to go to this party to get my mind off of things.

"Adri!" Yessica and Nellie call from outside of the driver seat window.

"Huh?" I snap out of my worried trance. I get out of the car and trudge into the house following Nellie to her room with Yessica behind me. At Nellie's shopping mall of clothes, Yessica dives in while Nel grabs a make-up bin. About an hour later I was completely dressed in a pair of ripped blue jeans and a grey sweatshirt- draping off of my shoulder- with pink words written across the front and a black tank top under it to hide my bra straps. My black hair was wand curled and a pink headband was across the center of my head. 

"Done." Nel said handing me a red handheld mirror. I wouldn't notice myself- I kinda look like I could be related to Nel. I looked so pretty.

"Oh, Yes!" Yessica smiles at me, hi-fiving Nellie. 

"Thank you. I love it." I smile finally looking up from the mirror and sitting it on her dresser. Nellie hands me a pair of her black combat boots. I slide into them while she goes into the bathroom to get ready and Yessica goes to find her phone. Nellie's phone buzzes, a message appears from Kole.

         " Hey, Nel. I have to tell you something. Meet me at the party tonight, i'll be in the attic at the old photo booth."

Oh My God!!!! He's going to tell, my heart dropped. She's going to ask why I didn't tell her first. I can't let this happen-I love Nellie- I can't let her find out this way. If only he could just wait until I tell her first. I heard footsteps approaching me. Everything in me panicked, My heart sank to the floor and my stomach quivered. I hurriedly sent back:

         "Ok, see you there!"