picture imperfect

"Yes! I'm Fine!" I scream at the poor man. He puts his phone in his pocket. I try to hide my face and wipe tears.

"Were you hurt by one of the guys in that house?" He held my shoulders. I shook my head no.

"I can't. I don't want to talk about it." I shake myself from his grasp.

"Ok. Have you been drinking?" He asks.

"No." I honestly admit, though I feel like I need a few.

"Well you smell like you have been drinking, and you look under age. The neighbors just called the cops, so if I were you I'd get out of here now." He tells me, looking at his silver watch.

"Ok, thank you." I mumble. But I can't come face to face with Nellie. I don't want to. I just want to run away.

" What was that?" He quickly becomes overly cocky.

"Thank you!" I scream, starting to smile.

"Do you have a ride?" He asks holding up his keys.

"I do now." we walk to my car and I put my keys in the sunglass compartment. I'm hoping the girls will find it and get out of there.

"Who's car is this? Are we committing grand theft?" He asks looking around paranoid.

"You ask too many questions." I say shutting the car door, "where's your car?"

"Down here," he leads me to a dirt path. I get scared. What am I thinking. I don't even know him. I start having a mini panic attack. He grabs my hand making me flinch, "calm down. If I was going to rape someone, it wouldn't be you. You're not my type."

He bursts into an obnoxious fit of laughter while I snatched my hand away and cross my arms over my chest. He presses the unlock button to his blue Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and walks to the passenger side and opens the door for me. I hop in and watch him go around the front of the car to get in the driver's seat. As we drive off, the police sirens drown out in the distance. The wind feels good across my face, drying my tears as we drive faster.

"So, sir." I jokingly say properly.

"-Zach." He corrects glancing over at me occasionally to make eye contact.

"With a 'k'?"

"No, 'h' Why?"

"Curious." I wipe last of my tears.

"I see. You jumped in a car with a complete stranger." He smiles at me, making me giggle.

"So do you mind telling me what happened at the party?" He says turning his full attention to me at the red light. I get deadly quiet, turning my head away from him as tears begin to fall again.

"I ended my longest friendships." I say coldly.

"And whose car was that, because I'm not going to jail for and, or, with you." He lifts an eyebrow. I can see his hazel green eyes clearly for the first time.

"It was my car."

"So do you just hop in cars with random men to save gas, or?"

"Do you give rides to random crying girls that smell like alcohol?"

"It's my favorite pass time."

Moments later we pull up to decent unfamiliar apartments. I start to panic coming in realization that I still don't know him. I left a party- told no one- jumped in a car, with a stranger, and went- I don't even know where. I have to admit, though, this panic attack still beats being face to face with Nel.