Part 2

What he saw was really terrifying-his mother mixed rice and fish in her bowl, lay on her stomach and gobbled down the food with her mouth.

     Gempe was very upset.

     One night, he brought a bucket of water into the bathroom for shower. A black cat jumped in from the window and lay on his bathrobe.

     "You dirty fella! Get off my bathrobe!"

    Genpe was very furious. He hit the cat on its back and chased it out.

     In the middle of the night, his mother complained about having an ache in the back, which recalled Genpe of the cat.

    Genpe was very uneasy and told his relatives about this incident. They unanimously speculated that his mother was haunted, and that Genpe had to act immediately.

   With his bow and arrow in hand, Genpe aimed at his mother who was hiding behind the folding screen.

    "My foolish boy! If you are to kill your own mother, shoot my heart then!"

    Cruelly, Genpe shot his mother in her heart.

    His mother uttered painful screams and kept struggling, until she fell on the floor and was not able to move anymore.

    Genpe rushed to her and confirmed that she was his mother.

    "No! I am such an unfilial son!"

    With great repenance Genpe stared at his mother who was lying in her own blood. He pulled out his samurai sword and was about to kill himself.

    Fortunately, his relatives stooped his in time and asked him to look at the body on the floor once again.

    His mother had turned into a big black cat with two long tails.

    Later, Genpe opened up the Tatami and discovered his mother's remains buried underground.