The Tragedy in Spring : Part 2

Aoi walkedup the mountain road towards Lady Yamada's house. Although it was still daytime, the shade of the big trees blocked away the sunshine and made the path gloomy. Without knowing how far she had walked, Aoi came to Lady Yamada'house. 

   " Lady Yamada, I am bringing you a letter on behalf of the town chief. " " Oh? Please come in. " The door was closed and the lady's voice was heard faintly from outside. Aoi opened the door and walked in. Aoi sat seiza-style* and passed Lady Yamada the letter. 

   " I can't read; I am illiterate, " said the skinny old lady. " Do you want me to read it out? " Aoi offered despite her great fear. " That would be great. " Aoi took out the letter from the beautiful envelope. It was dark in the house, so Aoi drew the letter nearer to the door so that she could read it in the sunlight.

   " The Devil of Tragedy, Lady Yamada, " Aoi did hear of this infamous person. She was trembling when reading out this sentences. " For the sake of my people, I could no longer deliver you flesh in the future. This would be the last... " The letter slipped from Aoi's hands as she was reading this line... Lady Yamada glare at Aoi with hunger in her eyes.

 *Seiza-style: a formal way of sitting in Japan