Chapter 5

Karma's point of view

I haven't had time for anything or anyone the past three days. I haven't made any attempts at korosensei's life. I haven't talked to anyone either. I don't even recall ever looking into anyone's eyes. I run to school slightly late, maybe then I'd run into some dumb chick with toast in her mouth that is comparable to an actual shoe in the brain cell department.

I leave school right when the bell goes off. No time to hang around or talk to people. I hope none of them are worrying about me. I take the trash out late at night, because the apartment complex I live in makes me drag my trash bags downstairs and throw them in the dumpster outside. Now I'm all for exercise but it stings like a bitch during winter.

The dumpster is also in a shady alleyway, so I might find some delinquents. So far no progress though. All I've found so far are homeless men living in the dumpster, which is really worrying. I've been asked before if they could snack on my trash. All I can say is that it belongs on Animal Planet.

So today I'll, once again, hope and pray that old man Joe doesn't want to eat my trash again. Third times the charm right?

As I walk down the stairs, carrying my garbage, and phone, I look through my conversations. I see Nagisa's name flash on screen, and tap on it. It reveals an awkward conversation on the English homework for the day before. The date reveals that it was around five days ago. I haven't spoken to him or texted him since. I haven't seen that adorable face of his in three.

I toss my trash in the dumpster, revealing that Joe wasn't there to eat it.

I pause, enjoying the crisp fall air, and the silence of the night. I observe the graffiti on the walls. A couple gang logos, some odd texts that don't seem to be English, and some art. One of the artworks is a girl with devil horns and wings crying, and an angel comforting her. Is this drawing trying to fuck with my head or something? Because it reminds me of Nagisa. Me, the demon, and Nagisa, the angel.

I couldn't help but sigh, and look through my conversations again. I open the one with Rio, to reveal us talking about operation kayanagisa. I glance over, only to see an unstable figure sitting there, curled in a ball. How had I not noticed them before?

They were sitting in between the wall and a dumpster, their small frame fitting in between it perfectly. They were wearing a black hoodie that was obviously too big for them, their pale fingers barely managing to show, and black jeans with sneakers. Is this it? They seemed like an unstable first or second year, that is going through that awkward emo middle school phase. Is this it? This must be what I've needed. Someone to make Nagisa jealous... I mean... help me get over Nagisa. Never mind all of that. I crouch down, and attempt small talk.

"Nice evening isn't it?"

No response.

"Do you live near here?"

Still no response.

I was about to yell at them until I hear a small sob from their direction. They were crying?

I suddenly remember that they were huddled in a dark alleyway in the middle of the night and that I, a tall boy, was cornering them. Did I make them cry?

I slowly reach out to their small hand, which was freezing.

"Sorry, am I making you uncomfortable?"

I cringed after saying that. I was touching their hand now, of course I'm making them uncomfortable. What hopes did I ever have for dating Nagisa if I can't even make smalltalk without sounding insane.

The person in front of me slowly looked up at me, and I was met with dead red eyes. The crimson shade reminded me of blood, it was an even darker and more solemn shade of red than my own hair.