Chapter 27

The giggling had stopped once the hose turned on, and the boys were both freezing. Reijirou had laughed at them the entire time, and sprayed them if they talked back. Nagisa realized where Karma had gotten some of his sadistic tendencies from, and Karma felt embarrassed that his grandfather was torturing them like this.

Sakaki had run a bath for them while they were being sprayed down, and they were both ordered to run to the bathroom as fast as they could. Karma led the way, Nagisa following closely behind, trying not to get lost.

It was 3am when the two shuffled out of the warm bath, Sakaki both giving them both yukata's reminiscent of the ones they were given during the school trip. Reijirou was asleep under the kotatsu, and both of the boys didn't want to admit just how attractive the kotatsu looked just then.

They exchanged looks, then slowly made their approach to the table. Crawling under it, Nagisa tried his hardest not to touch Reijirou's legs and wake him up, while Karma carelessly jumped under the blankets, knowing that an earthquake wouldn't be able to wake that man up.

Sakaki was somewhere else in the house, and the TV was playing an old comedy movie. There were tangerines on the table, as well as some peels surrounding Reijirou. Karma took one of the fruits from the basket and started peeling it, Nagisa carefully watching along, terrified to make himself too comfortable. Karma noticed Nagisa fidgeting next to him, knowing that he was starved too. Sparing a glance behind him, and then another at his sleeping grandfather, he grabbed a piece of the fruit and held it up to Nagisa's face.

"Nagisa, ah~"

Karma jokingly cooed, Nagisa looking like an abandoned hungry puppy. The fruit had never looked so good to the boy. His hunger and exhaustion got the best of him, and he closed his eyes and opened his mouth.

"Ah~"

Karma could feel his heart beating out of his chest as he slowly put the fruit to the boy's lips. Nagisa had been too worn out for embarrassment, all he wanted was something to eat, so he would take whatever he could get.

"Wow, how sweet of you Karma~"

His grandfather's low voice rumbled, he was resting his chin on the table looking up at what had just happened. Karma flinched at the voice behind him, and Nagisa awkwardly chewed on the food. Reijirou wore a smirk reminiscent of Karma's signature smirk, a prototype of it.

"You could've just said something if you were awake ya damn geezer—"

"Good, you're all still awake."

Sakaki's voice interrupted Karma, she stood by the doorstep with a plate of mochi in her hands. The sweet scent of the food filled the air, mixing with the scent of the tangerine. The boys were starving.

The mochi was sweet and soft, making them both feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Sakaki had been watching them both eat when she decided to break the silence at the table.

"I'm sure there's a lot to explain."

She mused, letting her gaze fall down to her food, while the boys both perked up in response. She lifted up her food with her chopsticks, inspecting the gooey treat.

"However,"

She let her sharp gaze fall back to them.

"... if you decide to tell us the truth, I expect the whole truth. I would rather you not tell me at all than to lie to my face. I may be old, but I'm not senile. Understand?"

The two nodded slowly, still chewing, but having a rough time swallowing with her sharp gaze on them. She noticed this, sighed, and returned her attention to her snack, taking a sophisticated bite of the treat, not struggling with the sticky food the way others would.