Chapter Eight: Such a Savage

MOM let out a hearty laugh, grinning as her gleaming chocolate curls bounced on her shoulders. "You mean, on the loose? Like a dog?!"

I rolled my eyes, sighing. Mom could be such a kid sometimes. There was no time for jokes if that lunatic really was after my mom.

Lila chuckled, muttering, "Get it? Chihuahua on the loose."

I scowled. "Seriously, could you stop with the jokes? If that girl is coming, we need a plan! She could be this much closer to finding out where you are, mom. It's only a matter of time before she gets here and rips you to shreds!"

Mom and Lila laughed, clapping absentmindedly. "The chihuahua's gonna rip me to shreds!" mom said, her voice muffled by her hands, which were pressed against her lips in a fruitless attempt to stop laughing.

I hugged my arms to my chest, sighing in defeat. "Fine, mom. Just wait. She's gonna hunt you down and steal your little dress."

Mom and Lila were letting out splutters of laughter, again. "Hunt you down!' one of them whispered. I couldn't tell who, seeing as both of them were dying over a pun like freaking drug addicts.

I shuffled out the door, exasperated. Really, a little bit of gratitude wouldn't be that bad. I was only trying to make sure mom stayed safe. Who knew? That girl could probably kick her ass with her dumb gold heels too.

Call me a fool, but in all the Crime shows, this was exactly what happened. The naive ones ignored all the signs and were dead the next day.

Well, I certainly wouldn't be planning either Lila's or my mom's funeral.

Once I reached the Imperial Lounge, I grabbed a cup of juice along with some lasagna and plopped down onto a cushioned chair. The lounge was the only place in the hotel where you could pick up some food without having to pay, yet the food was just as good as the buzzing restaurants that lined the corridors downstairs.

In the corner of my eye, I spotted Alec sipping some coffee across from Carter and Sadie. They were laughing at some meme Sadie had found on the Internet, a low buzz of chatter surrounding them.

It hadn't ever occurred to me that Alec would spend time with his siblings. When they were around, they just seemed to annoy the absolute hell out of him.

Slumping down in my seat, I winced. Sadie and Carter were smirking in my direction, leaning over to Alec. He peeked a look at me and strode over to my table, sending me a pained smile. He looked like a cross between a clown and a sock puppet.

"Hey."

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion, crossing my arms. "What have you come to nag me for? Please don't tell me you want something."

He smirked, bringing his hand up in defeat. "Alright, alright, you caught me. I was actually going to leave the nagging for later, but I guess it's your call. My parents arranged for me to attend the color run and you're coming with me. Tickets for two, and they're not going to waste."

I scrunched my nose. "Seriously, if this is your idea of getting me to go on a date with you, it is so not happening. Don't you know they do this in every movie and book in existence? I am fully prepared for your schemes, Gray."

Alec scoffed. "No, it is not me asking you to go on a date with me. I'm not going to ask you again. Will you come?"