T H I R T Y F O U R

{a/n: does it make you sad to learn that we're near the end? it makes me sad and happy. don't worry, i think there's about four-six chapters left. i'm back, i'm sorry i was gone for so long. heads up, this chapter is a bit dramatic. anyways, ily.}

unedited soz

T H I R T Y  F O U R

The train home is slow, quiet, and yet the ride passes me by in the blink of an eye. My mind can't get unstuck from the last conversation between Niall and I. I'm distracted and distant, barely engaging in conversation. The last words I'd ever expected to hear are mine now, just like the man who said them. 

We arrive home on a rainy afternoon. Hugo is waiting at the front door with a bouquet of roses in his hand. My stomach twists nervously and Zayn gives me a comforting pat on the shoulder.

"Good to see you, Hugo." He says as he unlocks the front door, grinning apologetically at the innocently beaming man. 

"You too, Zayn." He takes my bag and hands me the flowers. "These are for you, love. I missed you." 

I can barely smile and mutter thank you. I've never been a fan of roses, even though I know they're supposed to be the most romantic flower. They're too red, too ostentatious, especially now. Hugo follows me into the kitchen, chatting about the success of his latest play. I drop the roses in a plain vase, trying to ease my shaking hands. 

"El," Zayn calls, poking his head into the kitchen entrance. "I'm going to get Nick from Gigi's. Call me when you want dinner?" 

I nod and tell him bye. The loud open and close of the door marks his departure and leaves a quietness in our flat that I can't stand. Deciding to rip the band aid off, I sigh and turn around. 

"Listen, Hugo--"

"You're going to break up with me, aren't you?" He asks, smiling sadly. 

My shoulders drop and my eyes water. "I'm really sorry. But I can't, I mean--"

"It's him, isn't it? It was always him."

I nod, setting the vase down on the counter. "It's nothing you did or didn't do. It's just the way it happened to go." 

He nods, scratching his head. His hand reaches out to my waist and I wrap my arms around his neck, holding him close. We both know it's over and we both know what it could've been. But every second longer I hold him, the more I know that I belong to another man. I kiss his cheek, drawing away from him. "I'm going to miss you so much. We could still be friends?" I laugh, wiping my eyes. 

He chuckles too and places a chaste kiss on my lips. "Goodbye, Elouise." Then he's gone through the entry of the kitchen, no trace of him except for the roses on the counter and the faint scent of his cologne. 

I sit down at the counter and stare at the roses. I really would miss Hugo's companionship, his humor and brightness. I give myself another minute to dwell on it before dialing Zayn's number.

"Hey, yeah, do you and Gigi want to meet me at the Italian place across from Waitrose? What do you mean which one? The one we always--ok. Yep, see you then." 

Zayn's new girlfriend is tall, blonde, and gorgeous. She's an up and coming model who is about to take over London fashion week and before we left for holiday, I'd been helping her get in touch with the few fashion contacts I had from working with Niall. I pull my hair into a ponytail and put on my rain boots before heading towards our favorite Italian place. I'm happy for Zayn, even if he'd been stupid to take so long to make it official with her, which is what I figure he had run off to do as soon as we'd gotten home.