N I N E T E E N

heads up this is the longest chapter ever. ever.

N I N E T E E N 

Morning arrived with the same wake up call from the lobby. It annoys me because everything's so normal. The whole world carries on despite how rotten my insides feel. The lobby calls at six-fifteen with a crisp, polite wake up call. The shower water is warm and regular, even though inside of me, the whole world had shifted. It feels like something bad is about to happen. I feel like I'm about to be caught for something I haven't even done. Something inside me keeps me nervous and anxious. I try to rinse away my worries but my mind keeps drifting back to the words Niall had said last night. I go over and over them, like a hand smoothing a stone. I flip them front to back, back to front until I can't rearrange them anymore. They're words, and he said them, and now I have to deal with them. 

I emerge from my shower to the smell of fresh coffee and Chanel No. 5. I know that perfume and the woman it accompanies all to well. I poke my head around the corner, cringing. Like a nightmare come true, Anna sits on my chaise lounger in a white and black Herve Leger dress, legs crossed and feet dipped in a pair of killer Louboutins. 

"Morning, Elouise," she greets with a warm smile as I step into the room, feeling awkward in my fluffy white towel ensemble. 

"Morning, Anna. I didn't know you were going to be joining us." I pull a pair of navy blue velvet shorts out of my suitcase, along with a black cropped singlet and a blazer. 

"That's a little daring, so unlike you. I like it," Anna comments at my outfit in my hands. "Coffee?" She asks, handing me the to go cup like this is a normal routine for the two of us. 

"Thank you," I reply, taking a large sip. It helps my eyes feel less heavy. "So, you're here...?" I prompt, hoping she'd explain her presence.

"Well, two problems. Sit," she directs with a flick of her blond bob to the bed. I scurry towards the bed, hating how eager I am to obey. "One, you and Niall had a fight that has managed to spread a little." I wince, rubbing my temples. How do people find out about these things so fast? "Two, stocks dropped by three percent this morning. Don't know if it's related to the two of you, but you and Niall have a full day of meetings, and yes--you have to be there. It's a subconcious message to the other investors that things are solid between the two of you."

"I don't understand why it's any of their business," I snap, sounding like an angry teenager.

"Because if you two fall apart and take Horan Corp. with you, they will loose millions of dollars and be very angry. Personal life affects business, Elouise. If it didn't, you wouldn't be here."

I flinch away from her cold, yet honest, words. The real reasons behind my place in Niall's life are becoming glaringly obvious, and I can't believe I let myself forget them. I mean, I hadn't forgotten them, they'd been in the back of my head the whole time, but... I'd hoped they'd become meaningless and that other reasons would take their place. 

"So, go get ready. We've got a breakfast at ten, then a luncheon meeting with the board around one. That will take a while, God." Anna indicates for me to run along with a wave of her perfect hand and I turn to the bathroom, groaning unhappily. I don't want to talk about investments anymore or the fiscal value of profit-potential shares. What does this contribute to the world?

With a heavy sigh I begin to strip, dreading seeing Niall.

***

The breakfast with the elderly couple from last night goes pretty well except for the fact that there are some obvious tensions between Niall and I. We barely speak, barely make eye contact except when neccesary. I don't know if there has ever been a more uncomfortable situation than this. A part of me wants to apologize for calling him a dick, but only for him to apologize as well. As we finish up, I see Gillian hanging over his shoulder and his flirty wink at something she says and my resolve hardens. No apologizing.