1 |

In its early stages, insomnia is almost an oasis in which those who have to think or suffer darkly take refuge."
― Colette

" You didn't sleep again. Riley. " she sighed.

Not bothering to look up from my latest obsession of a book, I slowly nodded my head towards Rose. The voices in the cafeteria slowly dwindled down indicating the end of lunch. Lunch in Infurnem Prep was always short. The students here didn't have time to do anything that wasn't worth their while. They were here for one purpose and one purpose only. To succeed.

" Riley? I'm worried for you..."

The student in this particular academy were often thought to be the future leaders of tomorrow. Because they were ... quite literally. Most of the students in Infernum Prep were the future heirs to the various billion dollar companies their parents owned. I, included. Whilst the others were generally scholarship students it didn't mean that they too wouldn't reach our statuses in a few years. The status of being rich and smart. The Academy would be helping them with their already flourishing small business if they weren't already prepped and finished with their studies.

Just last year, Rose Valentine- my best friend- started her own V.I.P clothes brand. And has since then been providing all sorts of clothing to most of the A- Listers around the world . She, herself was a rich kid but unlike the others she had wanted to become something more than ' One of The Valentines Kids'

Sighing deeply, Rose plopped herself down on the seat across of the dark brown, oak wood lunch table I was seated at. She stayed quiet for a few seconds before manoeuvring her body closer to me.

" Riley !" She said this time more urgently from before.

Sighing deeply, she took her pedicured hands and snatched the addictive book out of my hands. Snapping my head towards her I started to protest but as I watched her light blue eyes slowly narrow at me almost daring me to say something I chose to keep my trap shut .

I cleared my throat. Looking around the cafeteria awkwardly as I gathered the courage to speak.

" Rose , I - " I started before being interrupted by Rose. There was barely anyone in the largely decorated eating hall.

" It has been 3 days and the most you have slept is 8 hours. " she growled at me. She took one more long look at me, she then quick as ever opened up the paperback book I was holding moments ago and slapped down a small black business card by the looks of it, smack dab in the middle of the book she had taken from my hands.

For a few moments she avoided looking at me before doing so.

"You know very well what happens to you when you don't sleep. It's mostly every time that when you don't sleep , you get ill almost immediately where you're then as usual sent to the hospital for whatever medications you need to help you" She said whilst taking my book and enclosing it neatly in one of the pockets in my school bag.

Rose shook the top of her blonde hair with the tips of her fingers before coming forward and hugging me as tightly as she could.

" You have a gift in your book. Read it when you get home and then afterwards destroy it. Burn the thing until all that's left of it is ash . Bleach it till the colours and words can't be differentiated between themselves. Tear it into small intricate pieces so small you'd need a microscope to see it. Do whatever you must but just destroy it. Do not talk about the services or details written in the card out loud. We can't have any of the others hear about this " she whispered quietly in my ear. Her left eye twitched as she pulled back.