Chapter 17: Shut. Up.

That night, the whole thing was explained to Brookline while I sat silently, almost frozen. Brookline started yelling at me at one point. I couldn't even bare to look at him. It had happened, now it's over. He was angry that I hadn't woke him up. There wasn't anything he could have done. We were going to die. But then we didn't.

    Now it's the next morning and I stand in front of the bathroom mirror with my hair everywhere. I quickly put on a black beanie and black ripped skinny jeans. Then put on a white Dan and Phil sweater. Just because I'm borderline emo doesn't mean I  can't rock some phan merch.

  I exit the bathroom after brushing my teeth and grab my bag. "Bye mom. Bye dad" I yell as I open the front door and walk out.

   I don't get far. About 7 seconds later, they race out of the door. My mother in only one earring and my father with his shirt on backwards. "Let us drive you" my mom smiles.

   "How about no. You might throw me out if the car for being queer. Just like you yelled at me at the church. Don't even try to play the concerned parent here. I almost died and now you think you should protect me? That's not how it works. Screw off" I say before turning away and jogging off. My mother had gasped when I told them to screw off. But it wasn't my turn to feel guilty, they're the reason everything happened.

    About an hour and a half later, I finally arrived at school. I walk in and head straight to my locker. I open it quickly, grabbed my books, shoved my ear buds in, and shut everything out. I kept my head down as I walked to my classroom.

   I sat down and started making little stick figures on my notebook paper. I didn't even look up when someone sat down by me. I did, however, look up to glare when they touch my shoulder. My glare didn't release even when I saw who it was. It was Atrix.

    "Hey man" he smiles as he tosses his bag onto the table. It was science so we had tables instead of desks. "I heard about the thing with Brookline". He wiggles his eyebrows and nudges my arm. "What happened there? Did you pay him?".

   I put my ear buds back in and he laughs. The nudges me again. I groan loudly and turn to him quickly. "Shut up! Just. Shut. Up!", I yell. He looks at me in shock and I stand up, just as the teacher walks in.

   "Bennet, what seems to be the issue?" He crosses his arms and I just stand there. "You may be excused if there's an issue. I understand". My expression softens and I run out.

   Just as I exit the class, I collide with the only and only Brookline Hamilton.