Distance | A Harry Styles Fanfic |

Chapter 1

My eyes jolted open and I sat up quickly in my bed. The images of the car accident still gave me nightmares after 7 years. I glanced in the direction of my clock and saw that it was 4 in the morning. My room was still dark and I could hear the rain hitting the glass. I rubbed my eyes gently and tried to fight back the tears that were brimming the bottom of my eyes.

"Zoey are you alright?" My dad pops his head in my room.

"Yeah I'm ok. Just another nightmare." I sighed, hoping he wouldn't come inside. Of course he does.

My father's always been a caring and compassionate guy. He's always been there for me, helping me ride my first bike, letting me take the car out by myself for the first time, and even helping me go to my first dance with a boy.

He gently sits down on the bed hoping not to let his weight on my feet or legs. I scoot over a bit and cover my eyes from the ray of light coming from the doorway. The stream of yellow shines bright on my blue and brown blanket I have over me.

"Listen, I have to go in early today and I won't be back until later. I'm leaving the car, so if you want you can go out tonight with your friends. I'll have my work car." He grins.

"Thanks dad." I grin back, letting him know I'm thankful he's trusting me with the car.

"Now go back to sleep. I can't believe you're up this early on your winter break!" He jokes softly.

"Yeah yeah yeah." I whisper, laying my head back down on my pillow. I pull the blankets up as I hear my door click closed. I fall asleep almost immediately wishing to have good dreams for once.

-----

I wake up at 7 am and wish that I hadn't. The sun is barely coming into my room but is blocked by my blinds. I roll over and look at my phone. He's late. He usually texts me by now...

I lock my phone and roll onto my back as stare at my bare white ceiling. I've always wanted to put posters on my ceiling but my mom never let me. I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and threw my legs over the bed. My feet gently hit the floor and I stretched my arms out wide, letting out a sigh with it. I stood up and looked over to the calendar that's hanging on my desk. December 21st. My first day of winter break. I can tell this winter is going to be interesting.

I took the pink highlighter I always use and closed off today. I walked out of my room and to the bathroom, not stopping to look in the mirror because I really did not want to see how terrible I looked. I hopped in the shower and hummed along to my favorite song.

After I was done I wrapped my hair up and walked back to my room. I found a big tshirt and some shorts. I looked over at my phone and saw a missed message. Finally.

"Morning beautiful." It read.

"Morning Mikey. I love you :)" I sent back.

Mikey and I have been dating for almost a year and half now and we could not be happier. He's on the football team and wrestling team. I always feel safe when I'm around him and he's always been there for me. Through everything. My dad loves him because he doesn't mind watching the football game on Sunday with him, and I don't mind our little make out sessions before he leaves. I knew I always loved him and he's always made me feel special.

I set my phone down and continued to dry my hair. We texted each other for awhile trying to figure out something to do tonight. It's our first night and it's definitely going to set the mood for the rest of the break. I can't help but get the butterfly feeling in my stomach when he answers me right away.

I carried my phone in my hand to the kitchen and looked around for something to eat. I looked over to the table where we usually have some fruit laying around. I grab an apple and wash it off. My eyes travel to the fridge as I take a bite and see a note that's being held by my magnet I made in second grade.