Chapter 9

"What do you mean he's gone?" asked Yaya, stunned by the news.

"He disappeared, Yaya," said Myra, taking a sip of her grape soda. "The cops couldn't find him."

Myra saw the expression changed from stunned to anger, and then to fear. 'Why would Yaya looked surprised about the news?' thought Myra. 'She always despised that scoundrel.'

Flustered, Yaya rushed back home and locked herself in her room, filled with pink, stripy wallpaper and Star Wars posters pasted on the wall. She jumped on her soft, bouncy bed and dozed off.

"Yaya Anne Fyers," called out the tan-skinned boy behind her. Yaya turned around, only to find Ezekiel standing in front of her. She rolled her eyes. "What now, bird-brain?" thought Yaya, in frustration. 

Ezekiel approached her, holding a big, light brown, teddy bear. He stopped 2 inches in front of Yaya and grinned mischieveously. "Happy 2nd Anniversary, my sweetie-pie," chirped Ezekiel, as he handed her the teddy bear he held just now.

Yaya's expression changed from shocked to clueless, then to anger. "Is that idiot insane?" she thought. "I love you, Yaya," said Ezekiel. "You are the cookie to my cream. You made my world complete," he continued. " Will you be my starlight?"

Then, a crowd of schoolgirls, clad in their uniform, went wild. "So sweeeeettttt," screamed one of the schoolgirl. Yaya felt guilty. She can't stand Ezekiel, but at the same time, she doesn't want to be looked down by her schoolmate just because she broke his heart.

"That is very romantic of you to woo me," said Yaya. "But.........I'm afraid I can't accept you as a boyfriend. If you're hurt by my statement, then I'm really sorry."

Ezekiel nodded bitterly and walked away. "You should've just accepted him, Yaya," said Chloe. "Yeah, heartbreaker," mocked Jeannette. 

"Yaya!" shouted Boonsri. Yaya woke up, startled and fell from her bed. "Don't you ever do that again," she warned her sister. Boonsri giggled and ran downstairs to the dining room, with Yaya tagging along.

"Yaya, is something wrong?" asked Anong, with her worried tone. She shook her head. "Everything's fine, mom," said Yaya, as she chew on her roasted steak that her mother made.

Anong observed her eldest daughter as she ate. She felt something's not right about Yaya.

Usually, Yaya would talk a lot in dinner. She would talk about the gossips she've heard in school, the latest Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode, and so on.

But Yaya's not saying anything right now. She's just munch on her dinner just to satisfy her biological needs.

"Are you my daughter or a munching machine," Anong thought.

Frustrated, she cleared her throat and stared at her husband, James, who was looking down at his roast steak. James looked at Anong, with a clueless look.

Anong rolled her eyes and cleared her throat again, while giving an eye-contact at Yaya.

"So, how was school, pumpkins?" asked James. Anong sighed in frustration. "School's okay," reply Yaya, with a dull tone.

"Anything interesting happened today?"

Yaya gulped with guilt. "Nothing happened, dad," she said. "Just the usual."

James raised one of his eyebrow with suspicion. "Are you sure. You're acting strange," said James. Yaya denied and resume eating.

"If you say so, pumpkins," he winked, as he chew on his steak. As the family were eating, Yaya couldn't resist telling the truth and blurted out,"Abraham Ezekiel Blythe's missing."

Boonsri coughed out her dinner. Her mother glared at her menacingly and looked at Yaya with her eyes wide open. "What do you mean missing, Yaya?" her mother wondered.

"He's gone, end of story," said Yaya, as she stomped into her room.