Chapter 3: once upon a time

"Daniel, I got the job!" I yell excitedly as I enter my house. It's already 8 pm. After the conversation with Robin, I went to the pub with Emma. This time without seeing Daniel there. It was nice to see her again, but she had to go home early because of her little baby. Emma and I have been friends since we were 18 and now, 13 years later, she finally has her little baby girl.

"That's great, honey!" Daniel says as he walks towards me and gives me a little kiss. I stare at him with confusion in my eyes. Why is he acting so nice?

"I can already start tomorrow." The smile upon his face grows wider and he leans in until his lips almost touch mine.

"So, do we have to celebrate it? I know the perfect way!" He whispers as he pushes me against a wall and starts to kiss me roughly. His tongue wants to enter my mouth, but I quickly push him away.

"Daniël please, not right now."

"Why not?" He asks confused.

"I'm not in the mood for sex." I answer irritated.

"You're never in the mood!" He says frustrated as he pulls back. I roll my eyes and lay my hand upon his chest.

"I'm just feeling a bit sick, that's all." I say before I give him a small kiss upon his cheek. I had to come up with an excuse and that's all I can think of right now. Daniel doesn't seem to believe it. He grabs my arm as I want to walk away and pulls me back to him.

"You don't love me. Is that it?"
He asks, anger getting into his voice.

"Daniel, I'm just feeling sick. I'm going to bed." I can't tell him I love him. Because I don't. I take off my jacket and my shoes, but he won't leave me alone. The bruises he gave me yesterday in the pub are very clear right now and it still hurts a lot when I touch them. I immediately start to think about Robin. His blue eyes, his messy hair and his amazing accent...

I quickly shake my head as I hear Daniels voice again.

"Regina, tell me you love me." He yells and I run towards the door as he hits me right in my belly. I moan loudly and open the door, ready to run away from this place. He grabs my arm again and I fall onto the floor.

"Leave me alone!" I scream, tears forming in my eyes.

"Mommy?" Henry is standing next to the stairs, staring at us with fear in his eyes. I quickly get up and run towards him.

"Hey little boy. What's wrong?" I ask when I pull him into my arms.

"I had a nightmare, there were animals who wanted to kill me and then a giant spider ran towards me and it was going to eat me, mommy! And now I can't sleep... But... Why is daddy hurting you, mommy?" Daniel clears his throat and looks into my eyes, before he smiles at Henry.

"I wasn't hurting mommy, boy. She fell and I was just helping her to get back up." I force myself to smile at Henry as well and I lay my hand upon his cheek.

"Yes, little boy. That's exactly what happened. Come on, let's get you back to bed and get rid of the spiders." I say as I take him back upstairs.

"Bedtime story?" Henry asks, a little bit of excitement getting into his voice.

"Didn't daddy read you one?"

"No..." Henry says as he looks down sadly. "You have to read one!" I nod and take his book with fairytales.

"Which one do you want me to read?" I ask as I already start looking for the right pages. I know exactly which story he likes most.

"Snowwhite! Snowwhite!" He yells as he bounces upon his bed.

"Okay, little boy. But just a few pages. It's already too late for you! And I bet you can tell the complete story without this book." I say as he settles himself under the blanket.

"Mommy, are you okay?" Henry suddenly asks and I look surprised.

"Why are you asking me that, little boy? I told you daddy wasn't hurting me."

"I know, but look. Your arm has a lot of bruises!" He says as he softly touches them.

"It's okay, dear. Mommy fell and it hurts a little, but I will be okay." I whisper and he smiles at me.

"Are you ready?" I ask and I notice that he's already yawning. I probably won't have to read a lot today. He nods and lays his tiny little hand upon mine. I smile and give him a small kiss upon his forehead as he whispers "Yes, mommy."

"Okay, here we go. Once upon a time..."

Here's chapter 3! I hope there aren't too many mistakes in it, but my English isn't 100% correct... I hope you enjoy the story so far!

- Jana