Prologue

History Lesson

Some say that Zeus separated the four legged, four armed humans in half and left us searching for our other half's our whole lives. They say that Aphrodite, the goddess of love, took pity on them and gave the lost humans half of a necklace that helped guide them to the other half of the necklace and the other half of themselves. The necklace would heat up the closer you got to the other half of your soul and colder the farther you get.

Others say that the government made them up to match people to whom they think will breed the best. These people say that the necklaces have a GPS tracker in them and it heats up when it get close to the other tracker. They also explain that the way the people feel for one another is just in our heads. They believe that because the government says that we feel a certain way that we will feel that way when the moment arises and that if we stopped listening to the government than we would not feel the love that we feel for the person whose necklace matches yours.

These are also the people who wear tinfoil hats and stand on street corners yelling that the world is ending, so they and their theories are often brushed aside.

There are countless other theories. Like that are numbers are drawn when a child is born and with that number they get a certain necklace and the baby with the corresponding number gets the other half of your necklace. But the bottom line is no one can prove why we have these necklaces or if there is any other purpose for them other than avoiding the heartbreak that comes with dating and breaking up, and just finding the person you are meant to be with.