Chapter 1

"I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed. Get along with the voices inside of my head. You're trying to save me, stop holdin' your breath. And you think I'm crazy, yeah, you think I'm crazy...."

   - Rihanna 'The Monster' × Eminem

***

Zailee's POV

I'm not your typical, everyday, girl. For one, I'm not super pritsy. I don't have billions, and billions, of dollars; but I have enough. I'm not popular, so I don't really have friends; but I'm perfectly fine with that.

People think I'm weird because I prefer to keep to myself, but I just call it 'staying within my bubble', and I really could give -2.5 fucks about anyone's opinion.

I really don't wanna go to school today, I don't feel good. I have to though, I've skipped school enough and I refuse to fail my final year of high school. I've worked too damn hard.

I rolled over in my bed, stretching and groaning. Next thing I know, my face was in contact with the floor.

"Dammit..." I mumbled under my breath as I got up and dragged myself to the bathroom.

I closed the door and began brushing my teeth as I waited for the shower to get adequate temperature. Once it did, I got in and took a quick, 15 minute shower.

I got out, wrapping myself in a towel, and going to my closet. I pulled out a fitted white v-neck, a pair of black skinny jeans, and my Concords; simple.

I got dressed and just brushed my hair down in it's natural curls, I don't have anyone to impress. I slipped a black and white beanie on with a little furry ball at the top and went downstairs.

My big brother Zo, short for Lorenzo, was at the kitchen table eating.

Zo was older than me by 1 year, but his dumb ass had to repeat the 12th grade. He's the main reason why I refuse to fail.

"Good morning." he said.

"Morning..." I mumbled.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Damn nigga, can I eat first??"

"Yo ass should've got up earlier, now come on."

I huffed and ran upstairs quickly to get my stuff. I slipped on my thin, fitted, black, jacket and zipped it up to where my pockets' hem started. I grabbed my black Jansport back pack and my phone off the charger, then ran downstairs.

Zo was standing by the opened front door, leaning against the frame, looking down at his phone.

I quickly went into the kitchen and grabbed two granola bars. Just as I was about to come out the kitchen, Zo spoke.

"Bring yo ass before you get left!" he shouted, probably thinking I was still upstairs.

"Shutupppp!" I groaned as I came out of the kitchen and slipped out the door ahead of him.

We walked to the garage and got in Zo's Range Rover, then started our route to school.

When we got there, I quickly jumped out. Some of Zo's friends were already walking towards us.

"Hey Zae... " Zo's friend, Tippy, said while giving me a lustful stare and biting his crusty ass bottom lip.

I rolled my eyes and gave him a look of disgust. "Nigga please... Bye Zo!" I said, then walked off. I could hear them snickering at Tippy.

I walked through the double doors of the school and started to walk straight to my locker. I heard the familiar snickering and I felt the usual stares, but I didn't give not a single fuck. I still walked with my head held high.