Part 5

"Follow me, I'll show you the way out," Holly said, smiling at me. I obeyed. We walked back down the trail for a minute. Then I couldn't wait any longer. I had so many questions. Where did the tribe come from? What was up with the cat? What happened to me!?

"So, uh... Did you guys see the cat?" I awkwardly asked.

"Oh ya, sorry about that I just needed to get your attention," she said.

"Wait you sent out the cat? How did you know I'd follow it?" I questioned, extremely confused.

"I didn't send out the cat, I was the cat," she said, way too nonchalantly.

"Wait, wait, wait. WHAT!?" I exclaimed. We stopped walking.

"Ya, I shifted into cat form knowing you'd follow me. Knowing I could poison you, knowing you'd ask the tribe for help and knowing I could explain myself to you," she...well... explained!

"Holy crap. What is going on. This is not happening, I'm dreaming, I'm still passed out, I got hit on the head. This is impossible! Wait, how did you know that?" She nervously ran her fingers through her long, shining, blonde hair. She looked at the ground.

"I'm, well.... Here, come walk with me a little further. I'll explain some more," she said. Starting to walk away. She seemed nervous, uncomfortable. We walked back to where I first saw her and where I heard the voices.

"Can you just explain to me how you can shapeshift, how you know so much and why you chose me!"

"Ok, ok. I'm not exactly, human. I'm a demon. Not like I haunt people. It's more like I'm being controlled. I get missions. From who? I don't know. But the things I have to do can be good or bad. Sometimes I leave people gifts and other times, I terrify people. I hate those missions and I feel so guilty. But if I don't complete them, I disappear. I've postponed them before and the things that happen scare me more than the people who see me in their bedroom mirror At 1:00 am."

I just stood there. I stood there for what felt like forever. But that's how long it took to sink in. Finally I asked the question burning in the back of my mind.

"And what is your mission with me?"

"So far all I have to do is bring you to my home. To my people," she said

"To demon city!? I don't think so!" I cried.

"Don't worry, everyone looks and acts like normal people and I'm the only one with a mission with you," she reassured. She held out her left hand and foreign symbols appeared on her arm. Then there was a gap in the forest. There was a spot with nothing there, like a black hole. She reached out to grab my hand. And said...

"Come with me."