Chapter One

Her eyes open. Bright daylight fill her eyes and makes her sight all blurry. There is no more pain in her body, and every feeling that she once had is gone. In bewilderment she tries to move her fingers and toes, but unfortunately with no outcome. It saddens her and she comes to the conclusion that she might be dead. The thought subsides as a friendly voice speaks.

    «Don’t worry honey, it’s all gonna be okay! Your body is just healing, and you’re being reborn.»

    Reborn? The voice sounded unfamiliar to her. She had never heard anyone talk like this woman. Her voice sounded creakingly hoarse, and it had an exhaustion to it as well. She could feel a hand brush softly against her skin. This woman has a friendly aura, she’s pure goodness.

    «Reborn?» She didn’t realize that the words came out of her before the woman beside her answered laughingly.

    «Metaphorically you’re not being reborn sweetie.» The woman took a short break, coughing before she continued. «You’re just healing and becoming new again. You had a rough travel through the portal.»

    Remembering, she burst into short sobs that clear her eyes and she’s able to see the cloudless skies above her.

    «My name is Lawana McMaster, may I anticipate yours?» She turns her head in the direction of the woman. She’s old, and not as young as she would’ve thought by the voice. Lawana has great facial features that evidently shows her kindness. Her choice of dressing is extremely unfamiliar to the girl. Her clothes is so far from what the girl would ever imagine wearing. The beige colored whole-dress wore off her skinny legs, and it was a perfect fit for her. Lawana is a relatively skinny old woman.

    «Constance Boyd...»

    «What a beautiful name for such a sweet and beautiful girl like you.» Lawana is smiling now. Her smile fills Constance with a joy that she hasn’t felt in ages. Constance couldn’t avoid her tears resurfacing, and it doesn’t take much time before Lewana notices.

    «I’m sorry Constance if I said something wrong.» She stopped for a moment before she changed the subject. «What a splendid dress you’re wearing sweetie»

    It was he who bought it for her. It was the nicest gown she had. It was beautifully layered with the best chiffon fabric there was. She loved the english lavender colored dress she’s wearing. Sadly, the dress is now covered in grey dirt which didn’t make it look bad at all, but the fabric might not be the same this way.

    «You deserve my gratitude, Lewana» Constance says in the most courteous way possible. She remarked Constance’s politeness with a grin.

    «Sweetie, where do you come from?»

    «I came from something green, obviously I do not know where it came from» Lewana burst into laughter, but soon has to cough from laughing so hard.

    «I meant where are you from?»

    «Oh, sorry Lewana. I come from London» She says ashamed.

    «London?»

    «Yes, London, England» Lewana looks at Constance with a questionable look, because Lewana had no knowledge of England's existence.

    «I’m sorry, but I have no idea where it is. All I know is that you do not belong here in this utopia.»

    A shock hit Constance. Utopia... she had heard that word before in school when she was younger. She thinks very hard for a second before it came to her.

    «Ideal society... an imagined place where everything is perfect.»

    «True, but this place isn’t perfect. Griffinwick is a wonderful realm, but you’ll encounter unpleasant things here as well.»

    «Oh...» Constance becoming speechless from the new knowledge she was given by Lewana. Her mind starts wandering again, and she couldn’t figure out where she was or if she has ever been there before.

    Constance suddenly is able to control her body enough to get up in a sitting position. Now witnessing the beautiful scenery around her. She’s never seen such green and well taken care of grass in her life. She eyed the lake that had the deepest color of blue you could imagine, and at the border of the lake there is a bird that she couldn’t recognize from back home. It is orange with a tiny hint of gold feathers at the tip of its wings. Lewana caught an eye on what Constance was inspecting.

    «I see that you admire the Goldenia? They’re gorgeous, but rare»

    «They really are.» She said, completely devoured by the sight of the bird.

    «I really haven’t seen one in years. They do say that the bird is the cure to anything, and can give youth to those who deserves it the most. Only to the people who truly is pure good.»

    Constance, sitting fascinated looking at the Goldenia. Such beauty should never be allowed to be alone. It’s still unbelievable that the bird hasn’t been misused.

    «I’m really fascinated Lewana. Who could harm such a bird?»

    «It’s not about harming, dear. If the bird were to be misused by someone who truly doesn’t deserve its power, the bird would lose it’s power and turn black.» Sadness appeared in Lewana’s face.

    Constance turned her head back at the bird that now had gotten itself in the lake. The Goldenia moved with such elegance that she couldn’t imagine taking her eyes off the bird.

    «Please, don’t be said.» Constance said without taking her eyes off the bird.

    «Constance.» Lewana attracts her focus, and she nods.

    «Do you think you are able to walk? I’d like to take you to my home.»

    Constance turn her head back to observe the Goldenia some more, but it’s gone. She then turn back to Lewana and looks at her with a dreary look and nods. Constance struggles to get on her feet again, but she manages to do it. Lewana takes her hand and Constance willingly follows her in the direction of her home.