Choir Nerd Pt 2

It was the day of the Christmas concert. Mitch felt confident, but at the same time more nervous than he had ever been. It was the last day of school before Christmas break started, and the concert was going to be performed for the school and then again at night for all the parents and families. The school concert was modified so that it wouldn't take as long, so the choir was only doing two songs, and Scott and Mitch were doing their duet. After five months of choir, Scott and Mitch had become best friends and they had also started going out. Mitch paced around the choir room with his binder clutched tightly to his chest as he imagined the three songs in his head, humming them lightly. His eyes were closed in concentration and he did not hear Scott walk in the room.

"You okay?" Mitch let out a short scream.

"You sc-sc-scared me." he said, pressing his binder to his face. Scott let out a nervous chuckle.

"I noticed. Are you nervous?" Mitch nodded a couple times and imagined his duet with Scott, trying to mentally memorize the part. "Don't be, okay? You're the best singer in the entire choir." Mitch shrugged, unable to find the words to attach to his feelings. Scott walked over and hugged him tightly. Kirstie bounced in a few seconds later.

"Hey, guys. We're about to go out. Come on, everyone else is already in the gym." Scott slipped his hand into Mitch's and led him out of the room. "You guys are so cute." Kirstie said with a grin, walking backwards down the hall to watch them.

"Thanks." Mitch mumbled, tapping his binder against his leg.

"Can we practice real quick?" The two boys nodded and the three of them sang part of one of their songs. "I think we'll be fine. Come on."

****

The choir sat in the stands while the band performed four songs, followed by the orchestra. Mitch had Scott's hand clutched tightly in his own through the whole thing.

"Hey, there's no reason to be nervous." Jeremy, the guy Kirstie had been talking to on the first day, whispered in Mitch's ear when he saw how scared Mitch looked.

"Y-Yes there is." he whispered back.

"No there's not. You're an amazing singer. All you're doing is proving it to other people. Besides, you're a senior. That means you rule this place."

"Yeah, r-r-right."

"And now, we are proud to present the Arlington High choir of 2016-2017." the principal, Mr. Lee said.

"That's us." Ms. Tara said, standing up and leading the choir over to their spots. She stopped next to the band director and said something to him. He nodded and started whispering to the band as the choir passed.

"The first song by the choir is," Mr. Lee stopped to squint at his notecard, then turned to Ms. Tara when he couldn't read it.

"O Come O Come Emanuel." she shouted so everyone else could hear her. She turned back toward the choir and grinned at them, her eyes stopping on Mitch, who was pale as a ghost. "Ready?" He nodded. "1, 2, 3." The baritones started, followed by the sopranos and tenors, and then the altos. The basses filled in after, creating a beautiful echo effect that reverberated through the room. Mitch caught his sister's gaze from her spot in the bleachers and smiled just as big as she did. After they finished and moved onto the second song, Ave Maria, Mitch felt like he was going to throw up. He turned his page to the duet and stepped up to one of the two microphones next to Scott. Ms. Tara moved over to the piano and started playing Angels We Have Heard On High. When it came to his part, the worst happened; he forgot the notes. His voice came out distorted and in the wrong key. Scott tried to make up for it, but Mitch was already panicking too much. The sound of mocking laughter filled his ears as he stared at the crowd of students in front of him. Without thinking, he sprinted out of the gym, needing to escape what had just happened. The large sound of laughter and the halted echo of the piano surrounded him as he ran to the bathroom and threw up. The sound of chatter from the gym went through the walls, making him feel even sicker as he knelt over the toilet.